Unfit Norwegian

180mm rear disc on a Ciclón?

Will a 180mm rear disc fit on a medium Ciclón frame? I hope so. I'm a fully grown larda$$, so I'm thinking of going with Formula The One in 180/200mm.

the train keeps rollin
    YES, 180 will fit.. but with The One brakes, they'll have so much power, you can probably just run a 160. I've been going through boxes of tissue googling at them One Brakes!
    beaver hunt

CEO Product Failure
    Yes. 180 is 7", right? A fellow Ventana rider has Hayes El Camino's in the 7" variety on his Med Ciclon frame. I'm using 203's (8") on a 21"/19" Ciclon. Though I gotta say...there's some real weird flex going on with this set up. Real weird.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    The One...nice!!!

clearance should be fine...no worries...

Unfit Norwegian
    I see no reason not going for The One. There's no such thing as too much power, as long as there's enough modulation. And at 215-220 lbs, I need all the power I can get.

What's really cool is that The One doesn't weigh any more than the Oro K24/Bianco. The price isn't that terrifying either.

I run a 183mm Hope M4 on the rear of mine...you are good to go!

Weird...that was my 1,000th post on here and I hit 2,000 on my local board today too...I have no life.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Im running 7" K18s in the rear on my Ciclon. They work out great. I think you'll be ok.

No known cure
    I use 180mm Magura Louise FR's with no problem. The vibration problem came up over the summer, but turned out to be contaminated pads and a slightly warped rotor. Before the FR's showed up, I was using 190mm Gustavs, pirated from my DH rig, without a hitch.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I'm trying to figure why you would need a 7" rotor on an El Ciclon..........I can understand the need for 7" or 8" on the front.....but the rear.

Unfit Norwegian
    I didn't say I "need" it.

Or, maybe I did. I just wanted to go one bigger than my previous 160/185mm discs.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I'm trying to figure why you would need a 7" rotor on an El Ciclon..........I can understand the need for 7" or 8" on the front.....but the rear.
    I have really heated my 160mm rear rotor on long descents...so I use a 180mm on the Terremoto (also used it on my old 575)... it's great.......... on the salty I do use a 160mmm rear.........

Unfit Norwegian
    I'm sure a 160mm rotor would be just fine, but what's wrong with a little excess braking power?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    I'm sure a 160mm rotor would be just fine, but what's wrong with a little excess braking power?
    nothing wrong with it in my book

you'll just feather your brake lever more...but it's no biggie..

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I have really heated my 160mm rear rotor on long descents...so I use a 180mm on the Terremoto (also used it on my old 575)... it's great.......... on the salty I do use a 160mmm rear.........
    What in gods name are you doing using your brakes on long descents?............get off the brakes and ride like a man joking aside Try changing your brake fluid to DOT 5 which is not hygroscopic (does not absorb water). The DOT 3/4 are glycol-based and absorb water which lowers the boiling point thus affecting braking. But you might be limited to what fluid you can use depending on the brake system.

To the OP, I would trying making what you have work better before just buying parts.....because over time you will experience brake fade due to fluid quality.....I use to change my brake fluid every year in my sport bike.......gotta take care of the brakes if you what to go fast

What in gods name are you doing using your brakes on long descents?............get off the brakes and ride like a man joking aside Try changing your brake fluid to DOT 5 which is not hygroscopic (does not absorb water). The DOT 3/4 are glycol-based and absorb water which lowers the boiling point thus affecting braking. But you might be limited to what fluid you can use depending on the brake system.

no problem.... I use Shimano brakes so it's mineral oil.... the brakes never faded....just got warm and the pads smelled and my hills are not that high...so I went up in size for extra comfort... and true 1-finger braking

on the DOT fluid comment.... AFAIK most DOT bike brakes use 3,4 or 5.1 because they are glycol based....the DOT 5 isn't, so it isn't compatible with most brands

CEO Product Failure
    I stopped using 160's after a day of shuttle runs in WP. On the 1st/last run on the following day, I heard this rattling noise...thought it was the h2o cage...nope--my pads which were now 2 days old had burned through into doughnuts and the rear caliper was destroyed. Hayes hydros circe 2004.

Nothing says I love mtb'ing like purchasing new brakes during the season in WP.

I now use 203's/8" on all my bikes. It's a cooling thing. BTW, the rotor from the last 6" ride has turned BLUE and the very outter edge is a gold/copper colored. Yeah, they got pretty hot.

Unfit Norwegian
    To the OP, I would trying making what you have work better before just buying parts.....because over time you will experience brake fade due to fluid quality.....I use to change my brake fluid every year in my sport bike.......gotta take care of the brakes if you what to go fast
    I know about that. It's not like I have extra brakes lying around. These will be new brakes for my new frame.