over researcher

16" '08 El Saltamontes - how tall of a rider?

My 12 year old son is about 4' 11" to 5' and is riding a Trek MT220 that I bought him three summers ago. It has 24" wheels and is more of a youth recreational bike. The seat post is maxed out and he still doesn't have full leg extension. He's starting to hit the trails now and I'd like to get him a new bike. Sure, I could get a longer post, but then I'd have to change the stem so that he's not leaning over too far.

I've got my eye on an '08 16" El Salt, which I figure will be too large for him, but he should start growing soon and I'd hate to spend money on something he grows out of too soon.

Brand new mass produced bikes are so expensive, I thought a used boutique bike would be neat. I ride a Turner Flux. There are some parts that I'd need to change out right away, but I'm still thinking the bike would be better off than a brand new Giant.

Suggestions?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Ultra Ventanaphile
    My son is 4'9", And I ended up buying him a 15" Frame, I changed out the stem to a 30mm, and a Narrower Bar. (25") And it fit's him pretty well. He currently rides a Fuji frame, but the point being if you mod the Stem/Bars etc. You can adapt an adult bike for a kiddo pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16" '08 El Saltamontes - how tall of a rider?-adrianfuj.jpg  

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

NedwannaB

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    My son is 4'9", And I ended up buying him a 15" Frame, I changed out the stem to a 30mm, and a Narrower Bar. (25") And it fit's him pretty well. He currently rides a Fuji frame, but the point being if you mod the Stem/Bars etc. You can adapt an adult bike for a kiddo pretty well.
    I'm sure there was very little prompting for that ear to ear grin!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    That picture just rules.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks, JMAC/Stripes, he was a pretty happy camper on that ride. His first off-road venture on the bike. (He had been sticking to paved paths).
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."