mtbr member

150mm fork on an X-5

Thinking about throwing the X-Fusion Vengeance fork lowered to 150mm on my X-5. The axle to crown would be 545mm. Would this be to long for the X-5?

I tried to get a hold of Ventana today, but couldn't get through. Will try again.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 10-22-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Thinking about throwing the X-Fusion Vengeance fork lowered to 150mm on my X-5. The axle to crown would be 545mm. Would this be to long for the X-5?

I tried to get a hold of Ventana today, but couldn't get through. Will try again.
    The X-5 is designed around a 511mm or 514mm AtoC AFAIK.

I did something like this with the Fox Van 36. It works, but it makes the bottom bracket even higher if that doesn't bug you (that was the part I didn't like). For every 10mm the fork goes up, the HA gets slacker a half degree from what I remember.

mtbr member
    Thanks Stripes.

I talked to Sherwood today and he confirms that the fork would be ok, but I would most likely not like the ride.

Team Chilidog!
    Thanks Stripes.

I talked to Sherwood today and he confirms that the fork would be ok, but I would most likely not like the ride.
    Yeah, the X-5 is built well enough to take it, but the AtoC is going to make it way too choppered out, even if you put different rockers on it. Personal experience taught me to find a fork I like, build the frame around it.

I did that with my 2012 Ciclon, and I'm really happy running a Fox 36 on it (545mm AtoC). Been very happy with it for 1.5 years now.
    Last edited by Stripes; 10-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Lightly salted
    I ran a 150mm RS revelation on my old x5 for around a year, not sure of the ac height. Only complaint was the higher bottom bracket feelling alittle awkward in tight corners. You can always try it and see how you feel about it, and if you don't like it. Trade in the x5 for a ciclon and you'll already have the fork. Thats actually what I ended up doing.

mtbr member
    In the long term, I'm interested in the Zeus and was trying to future proof the fork purchase. The X-Fusion is 650b compatible.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    In the long term, I'm interested in the Zeus and was trying to future proof the fork purchase. The X-Fusion is 650b compatible.
    I'm not 100% positive but, I thought you could adjust the travel on the X-F forks by adding spacers. Throw a Fox or RS 10mm spacer and you'll have a 140 fork for the X-5 now and just remove spacer for when you DO () get the Zeus.

I know my older design Velvet R, I lowered the travel to 105mm doing this method.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."