mtbr member
    May 2007

140 or 150 forks on an old style El Ciclon?

I'd appreciate a bit of advice guys:
    I've just been told by my fork servicer that my 5 year old Fox Float RL140s are dead (at least almost as expensive to fix as buying new Rock Shox Sektor coils. I'll be going for the new fork option as I always thought the flexy forks were the weak link in an otherwise perfect bike (I have the option of the bolt through version on Hope hubs with conversion.
    Now here's the question: get the 150-120 version or the 140-110 ones? What does an El Ciclon ride like at 150? Is is rated for them or not recommended?
    Cheers

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifechrisis View Post
    I've just been told by my fork servicer that my 5 year old Fox Float RL140s are dead (at least almost as expensive to fix as buying new Rock Shox Sektor coils. I'll be going for the new fork option as I always thought the flexy forks were the weak link in an otherwise perfect bike (I have the option of the bolt through version on Hope hubs with conversion.
    Now here's the question: get the 150-120 version or the 140-110 ones? What does an El Ciclon ride like at 150? Is is rated for them or not recommended?
    Cheers
    My X-5 felt MUCH better and stiffer with a 20mm TA than a 15mm or 9mm QR. I ran mine with a Fox 36 lowered to 140mm and it felt fine.

The problem with going with a taller fork is it raises the BB, which is already pretty high on the older designs. FWIW.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifechrisis View Post
    Cheers
    Yes the "old" style Ciclon can handle 150 forks. I'd go 150/120.
    The BB height change is minimal, the 10mm at the head tube is at most 5mm at the BB.
    After proper sag (30%) it's likely you won't notice it all.

AND by having the new 150 fork, you'll have a fork ready for the new frame when you are ready for it.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    yep the old ciclon hand handle the extra 10mm and if your not happy with it at 150 you can dial that sektor back down to 140mm. my modified ciclon is a different beast when i change the 140mm pike out for an 06Z1 with 150mm of travel. that said there is approx 30mm difference in height between those two forks
    Tomac 98Special in Classifieds

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cheers for the replies. It seems that the Sektors with either 15 or 20mm axles are only available in the 150-120 flavour anyway. Decision made. Shame to spend money I don't have, but now I have to, I can't wait to try them on our Wales tour this Easter. Bigger bolt through forks up front, serviced Fox DHX Air 5 at the back & a new Gravity dropper as well. Roll on the big stuff.