Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: 08 Ventanas

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    575

    08 Ventanas

    I noticed some 08 ventanas on here. Did the whole 08 line roll out, and if so what kind of changes were made? Specifically to the Ciclon. Or are changes only made from year to year when something is needed to change?

    TP

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,764
    AFAIK Sherwood introduces changes only when necessary or as the market "evolves"...it's not exactly a "calendar year" thing....

    there were several new models for 07...so I for 08 the same lineup holds...

  3. #3
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    AFAIK Sherwood introduces changes only when necessary or as the market "evolves"...it's not exactly a "calendar year" thing....

    there were several new models for 07...so I for 08 the same lineup holds...
    evolving is ghey

  4. #4
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,764
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    evolving is ghey
    no, Fibromyalgia is ghey...

    Last edited by crisillo; 12-02-2007 at 08:55 AM.

  5. #5
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    I know that the 08 Ciclons went to straight gauge tubing.

  6. #6
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    I know that the 08 Ciclons went to straight gauge tubing.
    as standard? in todays annoying world of phat azzes worrying about grams on frames cuz its the thing to do, i am surprised though if true i think its great.

  7. #7
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    He extended the the downtube gusset further too.

  8. #8
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    as standard? in todays annoying world of phat azzes worrying about grams on frames cuz its the thing to do, i am surprised though if true i think its great.
    Standard. Sherwood and Teresa told me such. I think it is huge to do on their part.

    I was going to get one semi custom with these tubes and to my surprise, the 08s come stock that way.

  9. #9
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Standard. Sherwood and Teresa told me such. I think it is huge to do on their part.

    I was going to get one semi custom with these tubes and to my surprise, the 08s come stock that way.
    tis good news. Just one more reason I respect Sherwood over the "other" companies (eg, almost all of the rest minus Knolly) who continue to cave to ghey marketing pressures of the lycra clad gram counting wannabee badazz at the trailhead roadies who "think" they need 5+ inches of travel.

  10. #10
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    tis good news. Just one more reason I respect Sherwood over the "other" companies (eg, almost all of the rest minus Knolly) who continue to cave to ghey marketing pressures of the lycra clad gram counting wannabee badazz at the trailhead roadies who "think" they need 5+ inches of travel.
    Does this qualify as needing the 5" of travel?

    http://media.putfile.com/frigid-fort-94

    20 degrees all day with 20mph winds.... stomper!

  11. #11
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Does this qualify as needing the 5" of travel?

    http://media.putfile.com/frigid-fort-94

    20 degrees all day with 20mph winds.... stomper!
    that looks SO fun....so different than my riding locale. hope to hit stuff in that part of the world next year

  12. #12
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Does this qualify as needing the 5" of travel?

    http://media.putfile.com/frigid-fort-94

    20 degrees all day with 20mph winds.... stomper!
    all those rocks look nice!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Does this qualify as needing the 5" of travel?

    http://media.putfile.com/frigid-fort-94

    20 degrees all day with 20mph winds.... stomper!
    Is that in the Boston area? I noticed the KT sticker on one of the bikes ...

    Cool video!

  14. #14
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,247
    Most likely because all the Cilcon owners were putting way too much fork on them.....lyric....what next totem or 40? .....god forbid eight inch brake rotors in the rear.....as the Ciclon morths into a downhill bike. It's only a matter of time before a fork restriction gets put on the Ciclon.

    Fo - I wear lycra.....not because you say it's ghey because it comfy on my ars cheeks. Plus I don't like baggy shorts catching on my seat......I'm not ready to ride seatless because I'm not ghey

  15. #15
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I wear lycra.
    "and I present you with exhibit 'A' your honor"

  16. #16
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Most likely because all the Cilcon owners were putting way too much fork on them.....lyric....what next totem or 40? .....god forbid eight inch brake rotors in the rear.....as the Ciclon morths into a downhill bike. It's only a matter of time before a fork restriction gets put on the Ciclon.

    Fo - I wear lycra.....not because you say it's ghey because it comfy on my ars cheeks. Plus I don't like baggy shorts catching on my seat......I'm not ready to ride seatless because I'm not ghey
    Outta curiousity, I'm just curious to where you're going with this..

    Being someone who runs a Lyrik at 140-145mm on my El Tigre, why would this be too much fork? I'm running it at the travel it's built for, not at 160mm.

    The only way I would run it at 160mm is because I have the 6" rockers on it. Then again, mine has the X brace, so there are folks who run 160" adjustable travel forks on theirs.

    What does that have to do with the tubing (not being someone who designs bikes, the reasoning definitely interests me ).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  17. #17
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Is that in the Boston area? I noticed the KT sticker on one of the bikes ...

    Cool video!
    A little north of Boston. Exeter NH.

    KT is about 3 hours north of there. We frequent that place often.

  18. #18
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Outta curiousity, I'm just curious to where you're going with this..

    Being someone who runs a Lyrik at 140-145mm on my El Tigre, why would this be too much fork? I'm running it at the travel it's built for, not at 160mm.

    The only way I would run it at 160mm is because I have the 6" rockers on it. Then again, mine has the X brace, so there are folks who run 160" adjustable travel forks on theirs.

    What does that have to do with the tubing (not being someone who designs bikes, the reasoning definitely interests me ).

    Not going anywhere with it......just stating a reason why I think Ventana changed the down tube from butted to straight gauge. When I ordered my Ciclon I wanted the extra head tube gusset but due to tube butts I couldn't......so head tube gussets help front end rigidity...for those long travel forks. Think of it as a lever arm....the input force at the front wheel axle.....so the longer the fork the higher the load at the head tube junction.

    But you have the possibility of running your fork at 160mm thus increasing front end load conditions. When designing one has to look at worst case situations.

    I know if I designed frames and saw people putting longer travel forks on my frames I would do design changes to increase the factor of safety or mandate fork choice by voiding warranty. It's just part of doing business....reducing product liability.

  19. #19
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Not going anywhere with it......just stating a reason why I think Ventana changed the down tube from butted to straight gauge. When I ordered my Ciclon I wanted the extra head tube gusset but due to tube butts I couldn't......so head tube gussets help front end rigidity...for those long travel forks. Think of it as a lever arm....the input force at the front wheel axle.....so the longer the fork the higher the load at the head tube junction.

    But you have the possibility of running your fork at 160mm thus increasing front end load conditions. When designing one has to look at worst case situations.

    I know if I designed frames and saw people putting longer travel forks on my frames I would do design changes to increase the factor of safety or mandate fork choice by voiding warranty. It's just part of doing business....reducing product liability.
    Even with the other tubing Sherwood ok'ed a 160mm fork on the Ciclon.

  20. #20
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Even with the other tubing Sherwood ok'ed a 160mm fork on the Ciclon.
    There you have it.....mute point.

  21. #21
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    Perhaps someone should ask Sherwood why he changed and quit guessing.

  22. #22
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Perhaps someone should ask Sherwood why he changed and quit guessing.
    I just got off the phone with Sherwood and he said we're all wrong........he did it because he owns the company and can do whatever he pleases. He also told me to keep my trap shut......and stop being a wannabe engineer.

  23. #23
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,764
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I just got off the phone with Sherwood and he said we're all wrong........he did it because he owns the company and can do whatever he pleases. He also told me to keep my trap shut......and stop being a wannabe engineer.

  24. #24
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    Perhaps someone should ask Sherwood why he changed and quit guessing.
    or better yet, ask tscheezy; i bet sherwood was even advised by tscheezy as to this move

  25. #25
    Spanish Marathon Racer
    Reputation: Rapier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    120
    what about the cuervo?
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •