Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 Ventanas

mtbr member
    May 2006

08 Ventanas

I noticed some 08 ventanas on here. Did the whole 08 line roll out, and if so what kind of changes were made? Specifically to the Ciclon. Or are changes only made from year to year when something is needed to change?

TP

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    AFAIK Sherwood introduces changes only when necessary or as the market "evolves"...it's not exactly a "calendar year" thing....

there were several new models for 07...so I for 08 the same lineup holds...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    AFAIK Sherwood introduces changes only when necessary or as the market "evolves"...it's not exactly a "calendar year" thing....

there were several new models for 07...so I for 08 the same lineup holds...
    evolving is ghey

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    evolving is ghey
    no, Fibromyalgia is ghey...

Last edited by crisillo; 12-02-2007 at 07:55 AM.

customized
    Sep 2003
    I know that the 08 Ciclons went to straight gauge tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    as standard? in todays annoying world of phat azzes worrying about grams on frames cuz its the thing to do, i am surprised though if true i think its great.

He extended the the downtube gusset further too.

customized
    Sep 2003
    as standard? in todays annoying world of phat azzes worrying about grams on frames cuz its the thing to do, i am surprised though if true i think its great.
    Standard. Sherwood and Teresa told me such. I think it is huge to do on their part.

I was going to get one semi custom with these tubes and to my surprise, the 08s come stock that way.

Standard. Sherwood and Teresa told me such. I think it is huge to do on their part.

I was going to get one semi custom with these tubes and to my surprise, the 08s come stock that way.
    tis good news. Just one more reason I respect Sherwood over the "other" companies (eg, almost all of the rest minus Knolly) who continue to cave to ghey marketing pressures of the lycra clad gram counting wannabee badazz at the trailhead roadies who "think" they need 5+ inches of travel.

customized
    Sep 2003
    tis good news. Just one more reason I respect Sherwood over the "other" companies (eg, almost all of the rest minus Knolly) who continue to cave to ghey marketing pressures of the lycra clad gram counting wannabee badazz at the trailhead roadies who "think" they need 5+ inches of travel.
    Does this qualify as needing the 5" of travel?

http://media.putfile.com/frigid-fort-94

20 degrees all day with 20mph winds.... stomper!

that looks SO fun....so different than my riding locale. hope to hit stuff in that part of the world next year

all those rocks look nice!

mtbr member

Is that in the Boston area? I noticed the KT sticker on one of the bikes ...

Cool video!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Most likely because all the Cilcon owners were putting way too much fork on them.....lyric....what next totem or 40? .....god forbid eight inch brake rotors in the rear.....as the Ciclon morths into a downhill bike. It's only a matter of time before a fork restriction gets put on the Ciclon.

Fo - I wear lycra.....not because you say it's ghey because it comfy on my ars cheeks. Plus I don't like baggy shorts catching on my seat......I'm not ready to ride seatless because I'm not ghey

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I wear lycra.
    "and I present you with exhibit 'A' your honor"

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Is that in the Boston area? I noticed the KT sticker on one of the bikes ...

Cool video!
    A little north of Boston. Exeter NH.

KT is about 3 hours north of there. We frequent that place often.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Outta curiousity, I'm just curious to where you're going with this..

Being someone who runs a Lyrik at 140-145mm on my El Tigre, why would this be too much fork? I'm running it at the travel it's built for, not at 160mm.

The only way I would run it at 160mm is because I have the 6" rockers on it. Then again, mine has the X brace, so there are folks who run 160" adjustable travel forks on theirs.

What does that have to do with the tubing (not being someone who designs bikes, the reasoning definitely interests me ).

Not going anywhere with it......just stating a reason why I think Ventana changed the down tube from butted to straight gauge. When I ordered my Ciclon I wanted the extra head tube gusset but due to tube butts I couldn't......so head tube gussets help front end rigidity...for those long travel forks. Think of it as a lever arm....the input force at the front wheel axle.....so the longer the fork the higher the load at the head tube junction.

But you have the possibility of running your fork at 160mm thus increasing front end load conditions. When designing one has to look at worst case situations.

I know if I designed frames and saw people putting longer travel forks on my frames I would do design changes to increase the factor of safety or mandate fork choice by voiding warranty. It's just part of doing business....reducing product liability.

Not going anywhere with it......just stating a reason why I think Ventana changed the down tube from butted to straight gauge. When I ordered my Ciclon I wanted the extra head tube gusset but due to tube butts I couldn't......so head tube gussets help front end rigidity...for those long travel forks. Think of it as a lever arm....the input force at the front wheel axle.....so the longer the fork the higher the load at the head tube junction.

But you have the possibility of running your fork at 160mm thus increasing front end load conditions. When designing one has to look at worst case situations.

I know if I designed frames and saw people putting longer travel forks on my frames I would do design changes to increase the factor of safety or mandate fork choice by voiding warranty. It's just part of doing business....reducing product liability.
    Even with the other tubing Sherwood ok'ed a 160mm fork on the Ciclon.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Even with the other tubing Sherwood ok'ed a 160mm fork on the Ciclon.
    There you have it.....mute point.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Perhaps someone should ask Sherwood why he changed and quit guessing.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I just got off the phone with Sherwood and he said we're all wrong........he did it because he owns the company and can do whatever he pleases. He also told me to keep my trap shut......and stop being a wannabe engineer.

I just got off the phone with Sherwood and he said we're all wrong........he did it because he owns the company and can do whatever he pleases. He also told me to keep my trap shut......and stop being a wannabe engineer.

or better yet, ask tscheezy; i bet sherwood was even advised by tscheezy as to this move

Spanish Marathon Racer
    what about the cuervo?
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    and stop being a wannabe engineer.
    ding, ding, ding! We have weiner!

Although you had a great educated guess before, it was not any of the reasons you stated before.

I know, but am not at liberty to discuss. Suffice it to say the Ciclon was ok'd for 160 with butting, and is ok'd for 160 with the straight gauge and gussetts.
    OLE!
    Aaron
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    [QUOTE=stripes]Outta curiosity, I'm just curious to where you're going with this..

Being someone who runs a Lyrik at 140-145mm on my El Tigre, why would this be too much fork? I'm running it at the travel it's built for, not at 160mm.

[QUOTE]

No offense Anne, but you kinda prove Vince's point here. You are using a huge fork for only 140/145mm of travel. A Pike or even Fox Fork would have sufficed. I know you had a bad experience with your Dual Air fork, but the Coil Pike would feel the same as the Lyrik. And I know you think you need all that fork for stiffness, but you don't, even if you are an "Athena" you are still lighter than the average rider that RS/Sram Designs their stuff for.

Irregardless of what I just said, though. It's pretty awesome to have a frame designed that can handle pretty much whatever fork you want to put on it .

But please folks, Vince has one very good point... no Totems!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo

But please folks, Vince has one very good point... no Totems!
    I guess I need to cancel that Fox 40 order for my Ciclon.

Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I guess I need to cancel that Fox 40 order for my Ciclon.

while we are on the subject...I am very close of putting my Pike on the Salty... I might pull a "D-Rock" on this one

Unfit Norwegian
    How can I tell if the Ciclón i got a month ago has this?

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    What is the serial number?

Unfit Norwegian

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Does it have a sticker like this one in this very location?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does it have a sticker like this one in this very location? If not their is a chance it's a straight guage tube. You can also tap the tube with a pen or other hard object and notice the sound difference.
    ah... cool fact..

so that's why my Terremoto doesn't have a Worth sticker there, while my Salty does?
    Last edited by crisillo; 12-03-2007 at 03:37 PM.

customized
    Sep 2003
    That is an 07. My bro has an 07 and his SN is 70564 verified by Teresa. I think the 08s will start with an 8.

Unfit Norwegian
    Ah. But if that's the production year, which I guess it is, there aren't ANY 08's yet, I'd reckon?

Unfit Norwegian
    Does it have a sticker like this one in this very location?
    Yes... (?)

customized
    Sep 2003
    Ah. But if that's the production year, which I guess it is, there aren't ANY 08's yet, I'd reckon?
    That frame was sitting there for at least a week or two before they painted it. The parts aren't built days before you get the bike bro.

I would assume one of the thousands of Ventana riders out there that don't know of or care about MTBR may have an 08 frame.

Unfit Norwegian
    That frame was sitting there for at least a week or two before they painted it. The parts aren't built days before you get the bike bro.
    Of course. (?)

I would assume one of the thousands of Ventana riders out there that don't know of or care about MTBR may have an 08 frame.
    I don't care in the slightest if my frame is a "07" or "08". It's an "El Ciclòn", and that's enough for me. I didn't even think Ventana divided production batches into model years. That's why I assumed the serial number specifies the production year.

I was, however, interested in knowing, since someone talked about a recent design revision/improvement, if my frame had that incorporated.

...Not that it matters, since I very much doubt that the frame will ever break, and IF it does, I'm sure Ventana will set me up with a replacement.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Yes... (?)
    Then it's butted......in reference to the statement I answered.

customized
    Sep 2003
    All is well in my little world.

I myself would prefer a straight gauge model. I like the idea that the frame would be a little tougher if I were to fall onto a rock in the thin section. Not that I ever had, but I would be sad if I paid all that money and had it happen.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I myself would prefer a straight gauge model. I like the idea that the frame would be a little tougher if I were to fall onto a rock in the thin section.
    I also prefer straight guage tubes.......butted tubes are ghey. I wanted the extra downtube gussets but when I ordered I found out that there was a big phat butt in the way. Gussets are plumage the bigger they are the better the frame looks........just like that big phat down tube on the Terremoto & Bruja

By looks of it three bikes are not listed on the Ventana website.....El Patron, El Capt, & El Fuego......I guess there was some overlap.

Black Lion
    I would also prefer the straight tubing.
    Voltron

Proud lame eBiker
    By looks of it three bikes are not listed on the Ventana website.....El Patron, El Capt, & El Fuego......I guess there was some overlap.

They have gone the way of the Do-do bird.
    No longer available.....except if you reeeeealy want one then the mad scientists can cook one up for you for a small fee.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    It kind of makes sense too.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just got my new 08 El Ciclon frame. Here are some pics showing the new gusset and side profile.
    In addtion to the new gusset and straight gauge downtube, there is a new guide on the top tube where the housing would hit.
    I'm pumped.

customized
    Sep 2003
    pipes, what is the serial number? I wanna see if our thoughts are correct on how they depict the model years within it.

I really like the new longer HT gusset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sorry.....I was going to add that. It starts with '80' so looks like you were right. The gusset is cool, and it plus the straight gauge tubing adds about 1/2 a pound. The frame weighed in right at 7 lbs. Is it worth it? Dunno...and probably don't care. It'll be badass anyway!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes1212
    Sorry.....I was going to add that. It starts with '80' so looks like you were right. The gusset is cool, and it plus the straight gauge tubing adds about 1/2 a pound. The frame weighed in right at 7 lbs. Is it worth it? Dunno...and probably don't care. It'll be badass anyway!
    Beautiful plumage there mate! Yeah the extra tube ziptie mount is a nice touch.......I put a couple of o-rings on my break line which stops the bang bang bang. Straight gauge tubing rocks.....butts are ghey.....you shouldn't care about a 1/2 pound......don't be like those weight watcher freaks.....build it, ride it and enjoy the smiles......I love Army Green.

Unfit Norwegian
    I must say it's a little bit annoying to see this just a month after i got mine (without these upgrades), and It's not even built up yet. ...But hey. Mine's lighter, and I'll be using a 140mm fork, so I'll be fine anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast