mtbr member
    Nov 2009

'08 Saltamontes questions

I'm looking into replacing my Turner Burner frame with an '08 Saltamontes frame. The only problem is that I can't really ride the Saltamontes before purchasing. I like how the Burner setup feels quite a lot (especially climbing). The Burner has an RP3 and the Ventana has a Float R... it seems that the only difference is the lack of the 3-way adjustment. Is this correct?

The two have a similar (looking, anyway) suspension setup. Does anybody have any saddle time on both for a comparison?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had a couple of El Salt's over the years, and can share some impressions. No time on the Burner, though, so I can't offer a comparison.

With respect to the overall geometry, the combination of fairly short top tube and slack seat tube angle makes for a relatively short wheelbase, so the bike feels lively and agile. The Salt is also very stiff, particularly for an XC bike, so it can be ridden aggressively with confidence. The setup I ended up with on my Salt was 120mm up front and 110mm in the back (via a 2.25" stroke rear shock rather than the stock 2.0" stroke). At least here in SoCal, the extra travel opened up the bike's abilities quite a lot, particularly for downhilling in rocky terrain.

With the very low main pivot, however, the bike will squat in its travel while climbing or accelerating, which some riders are annoyed by. I ended up sliding the saddle quite forward on the rails to minimize climbing squat, but of course not all riders will be happy with that either. If you're concerned about climbing efficiency, you might be a lot happier with a shock with adjustable platform on the Salty, rather than just a standard Float R.

I guess I see the Salt more as a short-travel trail bike than a super-efficient XC rocket. It's not the most efficient climber in the 4" category, or the lightest frame, but you can build it up into a pretty light bike that can still be ridden hard on difficult terrain.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I had an '04 Burner w/ XR rockers and an '06 Salty at the same time. They are more alike than different. My set-up was the opposite, RP3 on the Ventana and Float R on the Turner. The Salty is a little more nimble than the Burner and climbs better in the rough. The Burner was a little more active in braking over chatter when unweighted. I sold the Burner & kept the Salty. I think the transition would be fairly smooth for you.

HTH,
    D.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    With the very low main pivot, however, the bike will squat in its travel while climbing or accelerating, which some riders are annoyed by. I ended up sliding the saddle quite forward on the rails to minimize climbing squat, but of course not all riders will be happy with that either. If you're concerned about climbing efficiency, you might be a lot happier with a shock with adjustable platform on the Salty, rather than just a standard Float R.
    I had my Salty set up 120/110. The bike handles like a sports car......it rails. The only bad thing is what you stated the frame sits low in its travel and on steep climbs it wanted to flip out from under me. I know I am running it 20mm more up front so the A2C is within the guildlines of design intent. I would waste your money buying a new shock....send it to PUSH. I had a Float R that performed just as good as the my 2008 RP23.....it was a set it and forget it shock.

If you have the resources I would get the new frame design......I hear it's much better on how the frame sits within its travel.

Just my 2cent

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I agree with albeant, the Salty is more robust Trail bike than XC racer.
    I have on '08, with a 2.25" stroke RP23. The 110 rear set at 30% sag is a hot ticket, I run a Pike Air front 110-140, And usually run it about 115mm.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all of the feedback!

A new frame isn't in the cards at the moment, as this would just be a 2nd or 3rd bike to ride for some variety (plus I used up my new bike quota twice in the past year or so). I think that I'm going to hold off on this purchase, as I need to sort out the garage and wallet first.