Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

08 Ciclon, tough enough for 545mm a-c fork

I notice that Ventana seems to have beefed up the Ciclon for 2008
    Can it handle a 160mm travel fork? (545 a-c)
    Please don't say buy a Terremoto as i looked long and hard at that frame but the geo doesnt work for me (BB too high, HA too steep)
    I'm hoping the Ciclon with 545mm a-c fork will give me a 66.5 - 67 degree Headangle with a 14" ish BB height
    This would be very close to my 2006 4" Transition Preston geometry, which i love, but i need the longer (23") top-tube and lighter weight of the Ciclon.

P.S. If i do buy one and break it, whats the crash replacement policy like?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    IIRC that is the part of the reasoning behind the changes...that people kept putting bigger forks on them,,,

wanna be complete sure? call sherwood

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by aye-aye
    I notice that Ventana seems to have beefed up the Ciclon for 2008
    Can it handle a 160mm travel fork? (545 a-c)
    Please don't say buy a Terremoto as i looked long and hard at that frame but the geo doesnt work for me (BB too high, HA too steep)
    I'm hoping the Ciclon with 545mm a-c fork will give me a 66.5 - 67 degree Headangle with a 14" ish BB height
    This would be very close to my 2006 4" Transition Preston geometry, which i love, but i need the longer (23") top-tube and lighter weight of the Ciclon.

I don't think it would be as slack as you're looking for. My 07' with a Lyrik was approx. 68deg (don't have a super precise angle finder, but maybe 67.5 definitely not any slacker than that). Head-angle and BB height will basically end up almost identical to the Terremoto, so you're not really achieving your goal with that setup.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Unfit Norwegian
    Larry: Was that with stock or 6" rockers? If it was with 6" rockers; wouldn't the BB end up a little lower and the head angle a little slacker with the stock rockers and a 160mm fork. (I can't really see the attraction there, but hey...)

How DID you like the Ciclon with 6" travel, btw?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If the Ciclon Headangle with a 511mm a-c fork is 68.5 degrees as per Ventanas geo chart, then a fork that is 34mm taller will make it roughly 1.5 degrees slacker, so should be 67 degrees at least.
    I'm not sure what difference 34mm fork height would make to the BB though

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Larry: Was that with stock or 6" rockers? If it was with 6" rockers; wouldn't the BB end up a little lower and the head angle a little slacker with the stock rockers and a 160mm fork. (I can't really see the attraction there, but hey...)

How DID you like the Ciclon with 6" travel, btw?
    with 6", HA is steeper and BB higher.
    There are several write ups, one by Larry and one by RSutton

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If the Ciclon Headangle with a 511mm a-c fork is 68.5 degrees as per Ventanas geo chart, then a fork that is 34mm taller will make it roughly 1.5 degrees slacker, so should be 67 degrees at least.
    I'm not sure what difference 34mm fork height would make to the BB though
    With my X, every 10mm in a2c yeilded about a quarter inch change in BB.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good if you want the same frame.
    They will repair.
    Or replace.

BB will be higher with a Lyrik and stock rockers. I have ridden the Ciclon with the 5" rockers with a Pike and the Lyrik and I have set it up with the 6" rockers on the Lyrik. If you are wanting a 6" 545mm a2c fork with a lower bb....buy the Terremoto. You will raise the BB height and with the 5" rockers...the Ciclon is raked at 545mm a2c. It felt much more balanced with the 6" rockers and 160mm fork but the BB was higher than my TM setup. If you have any specific questions let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not interested in any other rockers thanks, just whether a standard 08 Ciclon is tough enough to handle a 545mm a-c fork.
    Like I said in my original post the Terremoto has too steep a HA (67.5 quoted but closer to 68 according to reports on the forums) and a BB that is too high for my liking (13.8 quoted but supposedly a fair bit higher according to reports on forums)
    I happen to like a slack HA so if the Ciclon is "raked" thats fine with me, i'll have an adjustable fork to lower it for the singletrack.
    So, to recap, i'm after a 66.5 to 67 degree HA and a 14" or under BB height using a 545mm a-c fork.
    Is the Ciclon an option?

I'm not interested in comments about it being unbalanced as I currently ride an 06 Transition Preston with 4" rear and a 6.4" fork and its the best feeling bike i've ever ridden.

PS I live in the UK so ringing Sherwood isnt an easy option ans i've sent them loads of emails with no response

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You should be fine then. I think the numbers would work out just fine.

You can also have them custom gusset the HT for you so that you don't run any chances of HT shearing like people have when they use an over-spec'd length fork.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    PS I live in the UK so ringing Sherwood isnt an easy option ans i've sent them loads of emails with no response
    Well, You could ring up AJR who's in the UK and is super knowledgable on Ventana's as well. And as far us the no email response. That would be a first since Both T and Sherwood are very good about replying to Customer questions. Maybe the emails are getting thru some how?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Unfit Norwegian
    I have also sent a couple of e-mails there without gettin a reply. (Although I have gotten replies on other ones.) Maybe this is their way of telling non-US residents to contact the local distributor.

Phoning Sherwood from the UK really shouldn't be a problem either. Just account for the time difference.

I am in Germany..and i still ring Teresa using Skype super cheap...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    the 08 Ciclon is different ?

Quote Originally Posted by justa
    the 08 Ciclon is different ?

yep.. downtube is straight gauge now ...also has an extra gusset in the HT IIRC

Ok...to answer your question...yes it will handle it.

On the BB issue...It is going to raise it to at least the height of the TM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Well, ALL Ventana's are now straight gauge, and they all are getting the new version of the Bigote/Downtube one piece Gusset vs. the old two piece versions.

-A
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Well, ALL Ventana's are now straight gauge, and they all are getting the new version of the Bigote/Downtube one piece Gusset vs. the old two piece versions.

-A
    Isn't the downtube on the TM a butted one (cricket bat)?

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Isn't the downtube on the TM a butted one (cricket bat)?
    mine isn't..... no Worth sticker on mine either...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    well, seems that i have to get my act together and fess up...

Site marketing material :
    To handle the demands of burlier riding and bigger travel, we’ve incorporated a butted tapered and swaged oval-to-round down tube to increase El Terremoto’s strength and stability with minimal weight penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Got one on mine.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    You probably have one of the original 99 Downtubes from the first batch.
    I'm positive about my first statement for all the straight tube frames-Salty, X-5, Ciclon.
    I honestly forgot about the cricket bat DT when I typed that up. Shouldn't have spoken in absolutes.

Oh and the website needs updates, especially on the text. Sherwood actually writes a lot of that stuff, but he's usually really busy, welding/mitering, CNC'ng, heat treating, Whipping Paulimon, powdercoating or talking on the phone with customers!
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    any pics of the new El Ciclon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    You probably have one of the original 99 Downtubes from the first batch.
    correct!

Chad did tell me it was one of the first ones he got... so probably among those

so..now I have a 2008 model?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast