mtbr member
    Mar 2004

'05 Salty a better performer than the '04?

Hi. I have a 2004 Salty, 5" travel with Fox Float R/Swinger 3 way shocks, and a Marz. Marathon SL 120mm fork. It is a great bike, but I was potentially lusting after the new '05 Salty.

What are the differences in ride quality? I ride a 17" currently and have long legs, so I don't have standover issues. I notice that the pivot has changed position. Does this or any other change in geometry result in a performance upgrade? Also, is the '05 Salty primarily designed for 4" or 5" of travel? I know that my '04 actually felt more "at home" in the 4" mode, the 5" mode felt a little high and nowhere as crisp handling.

Is it worth upgrading to the '05 for performance issues? (excluding the standover, which isn't an issue for me)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a 2003/04 model and now have a 2005, but the reason for that is that i had standover issues (one too many smacks off the top tube) so if i wanted to use the 5" mode i needed a smaller frame, the differences are so minimal that i doubt you'd notice, so all i can say is enjoy your bike as its the same nice ride as mine.

Welcome Turner Homers!

The 05s are a little more bottom-out resitant...

...Some heavier riders were having a hard time avoiding bottoming-out their rear shocks when using the proper amount of pre-load. I believe this was basically limited to air shocks. (I know one friend of mine with a Float had this problem) The new rockers were designed to address this problem. Otherwise, I hear the new frames are a little beefier.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Hi. I have a 2004 Salty, 5" travel with Fox Float R/Swinger 3 way shocks, and a Marz. Marathon SL 120mm fork. It is a great bike, but I was potentially lusting after the new '05 Salty.

What are the differences in ride quality? I ride a 17" currently and have long legs, so I don't have standover issues. I notice that the pivot has changed position. Does this or any other change in geometry result in a performance upgrade? Also, is the '05 Salty primarily designed for 4" or 5" of travel? I know that my '04 actually felt more "at home" in the 4" mode, the 5" mode felt a little high and nowhere as crisp handling.

Is it worth upgrading to the '05 for performance issues? (excluding the standover, which isn't an issue for me)
    Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

a legend in his own mind

This should help.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching

This is right from Sherwood:

El Saltamontes: For 2005 we increased stand over height by about 7/8" by lowering the top tube at the rear and adding a gusset (which adds about 40 grams), and I have altered the shock/rocker position to accommodate some of the newer large reservoir piggy back shocks like the Fox DHX 5.0. This rocker/shock adjustment also allowed me to move from a straight rate to a rising rate shock compression path which works better with the newest shocks. The 2004 is a great bike in its own right, it just doesn't fit any of the piggyback shocks so I had to change it to keep up.

I just changed my 3" travel El Fuego to 4" of travel and it slowed the handling a bit.
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What about head tube angle? Did that change in any way to accomidate a longer fork? I found that the 5" Salty from 2004 did not like a fork any longer than 490mm-steering became very slack and the bike didn't want to roll over obstacles well.