Thread: White Rim Trail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

White Rim Trail

A couple friends and I are going to ride this in early October. Clockwise, no vehicle support, two overnights at campgrounds.

I am looking for advice from anyone familiar with the area in terms of equipment needs, if there are any water sources, which side trails and vistas are worth pursuing, etc.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    No water. Hike to the confluence overlook at White Crack is worthy.
    I recommend a support vehicle. Or local style; sack up and do it in one night, full moon, lots of acid.

Bike Snob
    A support vehicle is going to make your trip a lot more enjoyable. As stated above, there is no water to be had on the entire trip.
    I have heard of guys driving out the day before and stashing water along the way. The problem is; then you have to drive back out and pick up the containers and driving the WR is not a quick trip.

If there are going to be three of you just take turns driving the sag, I guarantee you will get in all the riding you want. In fact, I would put money on one of the three going soft and coming up with an "injury or illness'' so they can drive the car.

Trip of a lifetime, don't blow it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Our permit is for Gooseberry A the fist night and Potato C the second. Sounds like Gooseberry has a dramatic view but is in a wash, and Potato is in a nice grove of trees.

Bike Snob
    Eugene, I will say this one more time with feeling.

You're plan is to avg about 33 miles a day with all your food, sleeping bags/pads, tools, tubes and water for 3 days. You're pack is going to weigh a lot, enough to suck the fun out of the trip. Bring a sag vehicle.

I have only done the WR in one day. The thought of camping out there has never crossed my mind but if I was going to do it, I would do it with a sag.

Maybe you are an experienced bike packer and you have done this kind of thing many times. If so then I am way off base and I apologize, but your questions lead me to believe that you are not quite sure what you are in for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dudes/gals - he is planning on no vehicle support...and it is doable. Carry lots-o-water. And then even more. I agree with rtsideup; White Crack is a short detour, but worth the short side trip. You may want to compress it into an overnight due to the water issue. Plan on a way to filter river water (coffee filter, then a real filter) at Potato, and you can replenish for the climb out. Sweet - enjoy!

mtbr member
    We did a group of 9 with a truck last mid april. Hight temps in low 90's with wind. We used 1 gallon of water each/day. We camped at airport, murphy, and then bailed on potato due to incoming rain. You can filter the green river at potato campground. I would consider a bob trailer if doing it without a vehicle. The good news is that most of the climbing is at the end of the trip so your trailer or bags will be lighter. Go to white crack. There is also a cool little slot canyon that drops down from the road somewhere I think after murphy.

Tigers love pepper...
    We just did it for the first time in April(3 nights w/ support). Gooseberry is great, but as others have said water is pretty much non-existent out there. Potato bottom does have some trees and the river. Wonder how the bugs are there?

Which dates are you going? I might be doing a day trip trough on sept 29th or 30th. My parents keep wanting to drive it in one day and I may tag along and bike as much as I can. If it works out and we do it, we could possibly drop some water for you if you are coming through around the same time.

FYI, you can probably "buy" or beg water off of other groups, but I'd hate to count on that and have heard it is considered "poor form" to do that (emergency is different obviously).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

White Rim Trail

We will bring one (or more) Bob trailers, primarily to haul water. Goosebury on 10/2 and Potato Bottom on 10/3.

I have thought about a water drop at Potato. Considered calling some of the guide/shuttle groups in Moab to see if they will have a vehicle going through, and if we could pay them to drop water at Potato.

But I think we can do it with the Bob(s).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You will be fine with Bobs. I have done the White Rim many, many times and in many different ways.

You need a minimum of 3 gallons of water each. As noted, it is possible to get water at Potato bottom, but you have to prefilter it or let it settle first.

The Green River is too thick to drink and too thin to plow.

Unsupported has it's merits to be sure, but there is something to be said for a lawn chair
    and a drink with ice as well.

We are going in September this year. With a truck, filled with coolers and furniture and girls and everything!

Have a great trip, it is an incredible place.

jummo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirby View Post
    Plan on a way to filter river water (coffee filter, then a real filter) at Potato, and you can replenish for the climb out. Sweet - enjoy!
    Alum to settle silt out river water. Old river runners trick. Used it during two float trips on the Green. Works great! How To Treat Silty River Water With "Alum" - YouTube
    The older I get the better I was...