Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Whistler or Park City in mid-June?

I am going for at least a week riding trip in mid to late June. We are experienced riders, but not really into the free ride/ downhill thing. It might be fun to try the lift served trails, but big air for me is 3ft. For those of you with experience with both of these destinations. Which did you like better and why.

Thanks!

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Really? No love from the mtb community?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Whistler has more variety. Park City has smooth flowing trails. Whistler's trails on average are technically tougher. Park City is less expensive as you can stay in SLC which tends to be less expensive
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have never ridden in either place but this is a great map of Park City area trails if you havent already seen it. Zoom in to the Park City area. The Skid Map

Owner Epic Biking
    I've never been to whistler, but from the videos I've seen it seems to have more freeride than park city. Park city has great trails that can be ridden without doing the ski lifts. I like climbing, so sitting on a lift when I could be climbing kills me. I have ridden the lifts at Deer Valley (Park City) and they have some fun trails, but personally there area so many great trails I don't need or want the ski lifts.

There are also a lot of other trails in the SLC/park city area. Check out skidmap.com for a great interactive map of the trails.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    there's just as much riding in whistler outside of the lift serviced bike park as in it (or more). I haven't been to park city so can't compare, but don't just think that all whistler has is chairlifts and table tops (although those are fun too). this is a map that doesn't show the lift serviced trails just all the other ones TrailCheckIn | Whistler Bike Trail Map and theres plenty not on that map too

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    I think I need to add Downieville to the list as Lake Tahoe and Sierraville are close at hand as well. Right now I am in the post ride beer glow so who knows.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Get Some BC Stoke!

You really gotta go to Whistler if you've never been. Goes without saying that the park is legend, and you can get set up with whatever equipment/training you need to have a good time. Everything is built and maintained so well that you'll be hitting tranny on Dirt Merchant before you know it!

Like kevin267 said, there's so much more than the park, though. There's a massive system of epic XC (well...BC XC) trails just outside the village. You can do long grinders like Comfortably Numb, or gnar-y quick hits like Pura Vida, Cheap Thrills and High Society. River Runs Through It is a great way to get some confidence on low-consequence skinnies and woodwork.

But wait...there's more! Whistler is right in between Squamish and Pemberton, which both have a huge variety of XC/AM/FR/DH/Whatever that is world-class. And you could even tack on a day or two in Vancouver and hit the Shore.

Trust me, even the drive on the Sea-to-Sky from Van to Whistler will blow your mind.