Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Where to go? Please chime in

So me and a few buddies wanna take a trip down to the US (were from Canada) and ride some trails. We're from Toronto and might wanna road trip it, still planning so not sure. But I've been looking at Colorado, and North Carolina has been brought up. I think according to google, Colorado is about a day and 2hr drive for us. Thats about as long as of a drive as we wanna do. As were only taking a couple days off probably leave on a Thursday and get back Monday.

I like the sounds of Crested Butte, Colorado and Brevard, North Carolina was the other place we looked at. If nothing else can anyone chime in on either of those two places. Pros and Cons

Thanks very much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sounds like a lot of driving for a few days of riding to get to Crested Butte. The riding there is great, but with the altitude and that much time spent in a car, I don't think you will enjoy yourselves too much. I wouldn't do it, I'd wait until you have at least enough time for 5 or more days of riding. There is so much great riding there, don't waste being there not feeling well.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    Sounds like a lot of driving for a few days of riding to get to Crested Butte. The riding there is great, but with the altitude and that much time spent in a car, I don't think you will enjoy yourselves too much. I wouldn't do it, I'd wait until you have at least enough time for 5 or more days of riding. There is so much great riding there, don't waste being there not feeling well.
    Didnt even think about the altitude, very good point. We are also looking to maybe fly in if we find the right deal

turtles make me hot
    I know this is a lot farther than you're looking to go right now, but if you fly...
    Florida. South of Tampa are three places I ride fairly regularly. Balm Boyette, Alafia River State Park and Carter Road.
    Up North a little ways in Ocala is Santos. That place has been rated one of the best places in America. The way the weather is right now, that's where I want to ride.
    I like turtles

Desert Seeker
    What time of year are you planning to do this trip? It is about 8 hours from Toronto to Stowe, Vermont. Nice spot to base a bike trip and have a lot of great riding nearby - Stowe, Waterbury, Barre (Millstone), East Burke (Kingdom Trails) and some Fellowship of the Wheel trails. Not before May though unless it is unusually warm in Spring.