mtbr member

where to go out west in May?

Hey guys - my fiance and I are getting married over Memorial Day weekend. We are planning (and more importantly, saving) for a BIG honeymoon trip down the road but we are also hoping to do something cheap and fun the week after our wedding. We'll probably mostly camp but might also spend a couple nights in a B&B or something. Its all sort of up in the air at this point.

Anyway, we were thinking of spending the week in Moab and Fruita (never been to either!) but I was warned that it might be incredibly hot there that time of year (end of May)? Anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions for other places we could go that would provide awesome riding, great scenery, and hopefully some good weather?

We live on the CO Front Range and are hoping to keep it within a day or so drive from home.

Thanks!

viva la v-brakes!
    Sedona is a great place for a honeymoon. Great riding, beautiful scenery and lots of off-bike stuff to do too. A bit expensive though if you are on a budget, but you can camp in Oak Creek Canyon in one of many campgrounds there for pretty cheap. High in the mid-upper 80's that time of year, again if its too hot you can stay in the canyon, do your riding and hiking in the AM. Or head up to Flagstaff for the day where it will be cooler.

Another option might be Hurricane UT. Nice riding there and Zion National Park to explore for non-MTB fun. Stick to the higher elevation trails like Gooseberry Mesa later in the day and hit the lower elevation trails in the AM. Camp in Zion and you will be pretty comfortable, even chilly at night.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    Sedona is a great place for a honeymoon. Great riding, beautiful scenery and lots of off-bike stuff to do too. A bit expensive though if you are on a budget, but you can camp in Oak Creek Canyon in one of many campgrounds there for pretty cheap. High in the mid-upper 80's that time of year, again if its too hot you can stay in the canyon, do your riding and hiking in the AM. Or head up to Flagstaff for the day where it will be cooler.

Another option might be Hurricane UT. Nice riding there and Zion National Park to explore for non-MTB fun. Stick to the higher elevation trails like Gooseberry Mesa later in the day and hit the lower elevation trails in the AM. Camp in Zion and you will be pretty comfortable, even chilly at night.
    I second the Hurricane, UT area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've done Moab, Hurricane and Sedona and I believe Gooseberry Mesa outside of Hurricane is a great spot. Springdale is a small town close by with great local restaurants and reasonably priced accomodations. Also, Zion National Park offers incredible day hikes along with camping opportunities.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! It looks like we will definitely have to put some thought into Hurricane and Sedona!

Keep the suggestions coming!

aka baycat
    Well it might take a good part of a day to drive out here . But the Santa Cruz and Bay Area is another option. Plenty of camping or cheap lodging, and no shortage of incredible scenery or things to do on and off the bike.

Or if the snow is gone by then (which it might be) Downieville is a top destination for Mountain Biking, with a side trip to Lake Tahoe.

Friends of mine just did a few days down in Santa Cruz and Monterey and then went up to Wine Country.

But I would ride Gooseberry, Moab, Fruita until I could fall over.

Des(s)ert Rat
    If you are worried about Moab or Fruita being too hot, both Hurricane and Sedona are places that I visit when it's too cold to ride here in Fruita. However, both Sedona and Hurricane have some higher elevation stuff around. And if you do head to Hurricane, Thunder Mountain is a MUST! It's just outside of Bryce Canyon.

viva la v-brakes!
    Bear in mind that Thunder Mountain is a good 2-3 hour drive from Hurricane. According to my wife the trail is pretty sweet, my arm was broken when we were there. But between that and Bryce Canyon itself it might be worth the trip, it is a scenic drive. At 8,000 ft, bear in mind that it will be pretty cool up there.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My GF and I had a great time in Rapid City,SD for the BHFTF last year on Memorial day weekend, It's as close as moab, much closer than AZ or SW Utah. The BHTFT has organized rides on great singletrack, races, bike demo's, socials, ect. Plus it's someting different.
    Link;
    http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/