Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where to camp on a budget

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  t0pcat 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, let me start by saying I am new to this so bear with me. I live in Florida and I need to visit family in western PA and upstate NY the last week of July. Here is my idea, I want to drive myself and my girlfriend up to PA stay a night or two, then to NY do the same, and then drive back south. Here is where I need some guidance. I plan to take an extra day or two to stop and camp somewhere in the mountains. We are both new to mountain biking in general(her more than myself), so we are looking for the best place to camp on a budget where we can ride our bikes straight out of camp to the trails. I am certain my other half will insist the campground has showers and bathrooms with water.:madman: Other than that my main concerns are rides with beautiful scenery that will be a positive experience on our first real mountain biking trip. From the research I have done Pisgah national forest looks perfect but there are tons of campsites and too much info for me to really make a decision. Thanks for any advice you all may have.

#2 ·
If going to Pisgah, stay at Davidson River Campground. You can ride various loops from camp. Get THIS map. I'll gladly help you organize a couple self-guided routes based on your ability. If you're not heart set on Pisgah, I can help you with other locations as well.

#3 ·
Thanks k2biker! My heart is not really set on Pisgah, I was just looking for the best place that is approximately half way between Erie Pa and Englewood Fl. From the info I could find, Pisgah is the right distance and I have heard it mentioned on this forum several times. If there are better choices I would be thrilled to hear about them. Thanks again for the reply and info, kinda takes the guess work out of it. I am so excited to make this trip!

#4 ·
If your new to mtn bikeing if i were you i would google mountain bike trails in pa and ny and find something close to where your going. There are many beautiful senic trails that are easy for biginers in those areas! There are many expert type trails in those areas also! Presque isle PA DCNR - Presque Isle State Park
is a very pretty place pine creek moon lake (harder trails ) oh i could go on and on! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.