mtbr member

whats up with the 62 linear inches (158cm) bicycle luggage?

I am trying to book an international flight with United, and per this page (United Airlines - Sports equipment) any of the decent luggage cases like the EVOC travel bag or the Polaris Eva bike pod would all over way over the 62"/158cm linear limit. I don't even know if it would be possible to get my XL sized 27.5" bike into luggage with a total linear size of 158cm. Its laughable how you can buy a bicycle box from United thats way over their own limit.

Is there anyway around this? Thats $400 round trip for hauling a bike! Way more than golf clubs etc. Thievery I tell ya.

United accepts non-motorized bicycles with single or double seats (including tandem) or up to two non-motorized bicycles packed in one case as checked baggage. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is over 50 pounds (23kg) and/or 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), a $100 service charge applies each way for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a $200 service charge applies each way for all other travel. If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies.

If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies.

mtbr member
    there's no fee if you can get it smaller than that, which you can't unless it's a folding bike (there's also no way you're going to get the box under 50# as the case itself is over 20) so you have to pay the bike fee.

Unfortunately if you are traveling with a bike, you can't just shop for fare, but have to include bike fees in that. Last 2 international flights I've taken were on American and Iceland air, both were less than what united charges (though not by a lot, ~$150 or so each way).

Royal Air Morocco wanted around $500 each way, which is why I went with American on that last trip.