Thread: What size pack?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What size pack?

I am going to New Zealand for a few months. I am wondering if any mtn bikers that have taken extended trips have recommendations on packs and carrying capacity. Trying to determine if I should go 65L or 85Liters.

Thanks in advance
    Martin

mtbr member
    You may have taken off already, but I just caught this and may save you from grief...

Are you riding with this on your back? Because prolonged riding with anything more than 15-20 lbs can wear your shoulders out.

On extended riding with more weight, you should relinquish gear it to your frame via bags or trailer.

Let us know where you are riding. I have done some MTB trips down there -mostly South Island, and the back roads and tracks make for some great multi-day rides.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    I am going to New Zealand for a few months. I am wondering if any mtn bikers that have taken extended trips have recommendations on packs and carrying capacity. Trying to determine if I should go 65L or 85Liters.

Thanks in advance
    Martin
    We've tried a lot of stuff but now Mrs. M. and I carry 56l panniers (from MEC) on racks on all our bikes, MTB, hybrid, and road. Plus a couple of bungees each to tie down any extra stuff to the rack.

MEC World Tour 2 56L Cycling Panniers - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

We're off for 4 months to Florida in a couple of weeks and everything we need fits...with room to spare. After 40 years of biking the world, we've learned that less is more.

Plus, we each carry some tools, 2 tubes, a pump (on a down tube bracket), some chain links, and a few extra spokes.

banned
    Mar 2005

Thanks in advance
    Martin
    some other ideas...

Life is like a box of chocolates: Equipment: Tried & Tested

Also, scroll through some of the 100's of journals to get some great recommendations...

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Journals

banned
    Mar 2005

Thanks in advance
    Martin
    You saw these....?

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: New Zealand - Feb/March 2012, by Karen Hill

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A Father/Daughter Adventure in New Zealand, by Michael Rice

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Tandem around New Zealand, by Peter Freeman

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Otago Rail Trail, New Zealand, by John Grant