Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Weather in B.C during May?

For those of you who ride in Whistler and Vancouver area in May, how wet/muddy are the riding conditions?

I may attend a conference in Vancouver in May and I'm wondering if I should bring my bikes, and combine it with a bike vacation. I've never been to Whistler. I live in San Diego, so I don't have many chances. So what I would like to know is, if it does rain are the trials still in good shape? Will most of the trails be open by then? I assume the bike park will be open?

Thanks!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Might be a bit soon to say. Usually depends on late season snowpack but this year has seen a lower than average snowfall. Whistler Bike Park opens May 16th. Lower trails in Squish and Whistler should be fine and Vancouver North Shore will be mostly ridable. You are bound to encounter some mud but trails will be good unless there's a sustained period of percip.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks Telebiker!

mtbr member
    Lower elevations are almost always rideable. Expect rain anytime before mid July, but it could also be in the 60s and sunny. Either way the trails tend to be better when slightly moist, as opposed to late summer when they are loose, dry, and rutted from the skidiots.
    Even if you don't go to the bike park, You should bring your bike and ride N. Van, Squamish, or Galbraith in the U.S. All with in an hour or so of Van.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks ser jameson! The conference would actually end a few days before the park opens, so I would have to kill a few days elsewhere.

mtbr member
    trails in pemby and squamish are awesome right now, will be awesome in may too. May and June can get a lot of rain but whatever just means the bike park is less busy and you should avoid sensitive trails that's all