mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Vancouver or San Francisco

Hello All
    I am flying in to San Francisco and will have a spare week to check out trails.

I have an option to stop over in Vancouver.

How many days should I allow ?

Otherwise I would be willing to drive up to two hours from San Francisco to check out trails within that area.

I ride All Mountain / Trail

Thanks in advance

ups and downs
    If you're stopping in Vancouver BC, most of the local mountain trails lean more toward AM/Freeride. Hard to say what you're used to for technical challenges, but the better AM/Trail stuff would be up in Squamish and Pemberton, about 1-2 hours north of Vancouver. You could find enough new trails to ride in each of those locations for a week of riding..
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I personally don't know much about riding near Vancouver, but from what I've read, San Francisco has very few local singletracks open to mountain biking due to some very angry hikers and horseback riders who fight as much as they can to keep bikes off the trails they want to themselves.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Annadel State Park near Santa Rosa (north of San Fran) has lots of great singletrack. Oat Mine Road (historical background) in the northern end of Napa Valley is an interesting ride. If you don't mind driving 3 hours, there is lots of awesome riding in Downieville and Lake Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lots of riding to the south of San Francisco, both along the peninsula, and down around Santa Cruz. This is within a 2 hour driving range of SF. You might think about weather and time of year. It's fall. Sf might get some early rain, Vancouver much more likely to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Then there's Fairfax in Marin. China Camp, Tamarancho. Santa Cruz, too. I don't claim to be a local. Culture is fantastic in SF, my favorite US city but Vancouver is my favorite Canadian city and the riding would be tastier. Many more choices, less riders, wish I had more time to explore Vancouver.
    agmtb