Thread: US in August

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005

US in August

Thinking about a riding trip to the US in August. (from Australia) My girl and me have done a bit of riding in the US but want to head somewhere new for at least some of this trip. (will probably have 2 weeks.) You guys have sooo many places to ride it's a tough choice so we _need_ recomendations for a destination????
    Requirements:... awesome riding, awesome scenery, good food and rehydration, variety of/ on trails, nice weather in August, general awesomness.
    Like technical, like climbing (after our sea level lungs get used to it), like decending, like epic, like riding bikes.

Where???

mtbr member
    In august you want to stick to the northern climes like New England or Pacific Northwest. Just my opinion.

NE offers many possibilities from beautiful coastal riding in Maine to awesome singletrack in Northeastern Vermont. Land in Boston and rent a car.

First stop Portsmouth, NH. Great food and micros there. Trek of Portsmouth will show you some great trails. Next head to Portland, ME. Great food(Corner Room and Grill Room are a must) and local trails. Bradbury state park is the best in these parts. Then drive up through the mountains of NH to East Burke, VT and ride Kingdom trails for the finale. Great riding and atmosphere. Return to Boston.

Obviously the west coast may be a little more attractive from a traveling standpoint but New England is worth the extra flight.

Go make a difference
    Southeast! Pisgah National Forest, Dupont State Forest and LOTS of riding within an hour or so in addition to the 100+ miles you'll find there. There's also some great whitewater rafting I can set you up with for a day or two off the bike!

(Kingdom Trails in VT are pretty darn fun too though)
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Maybe Pisgah would be ok for australians, but I'd get heatstroke in August!
    I'm biased, but give copper harbor and Cayuna lakes a look on the imba epic trails page. August is prime time.

Otherwise, I've never been, but have always wanted to go to Oregon. Bc would be sweet too...so many places, now I see why u can't choose!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Oregon!! Two weeks will go fast between these three spots: Bend, Oakridge & Ashland, and would be a fabulous vacation!! This loop can be done with Bend first or last, your choice. You can choose by what shows are taking place in Bend as well: 2012 concert event schedule les schwab amphitheater bend oregon.

Fly into Portland (PDX)and rent a car/van that can carry your bikes. Or you can rent where you go..

From Portland drive SE 3 hours to Bend (80k people, surrounded by forest), beautiful drive through the mountains. Give yourself 5 days here. Bend is not technical, but never-ending singletrack, like hundreds of miles right from town going up into the Cascade Mtns. So come get your full days of epic riding, great views. All the trails are built by mountain bikers for mountain biking. Bend has 10 micro-breweries in town, you can float down the river right through town after your ride, Farmer's Markets three days a week, free music at least two days a week. Full of fun bikers. You get the idea, good place to come visit..

Then drive 1.5 hours SW to Oakridge, again through the mountains. If you have bikes with you, we highly recommend going to Waldo Lake on the way and doing the loop around the lake. This 22 mile ride is amazing, beautiful, great climbing, some techy spots and great flow.

And then Oakridge. You can ride most everything on your cross country bike unless you want to ride the more technical trails. Great shuttle rides with up to 20 miles of flowy or technical trail waiting for you. Oakridge is a smaller town, one brewery and one hostel and tons of friendly people. Bend is more arid, higher in elevation and more pine trees. Oakridge is much greener, more vegetation and steep hills. This means the trails are very different than Bend, so it is a totally different place to ride.

And then Ashland for your last stop. it is a 5 hour drive, but once again through the hills, so it is not a bad drive. Ashland is a cultural mecca, the home of Shakespeare Festival and the downtown has a very Shakespeare feel to it. Great food, places to stay and then of course the riding... There are cross country trails and tons of trails that can be shuttled. The single track is steeper here than Bend and also has more technical elements to enjoy.

I hate to say this, but if three spots was too much, you could easily spend two weeks between Bend and Oakridge. In both areas there is a ton of riding and us locals can help you out to plan your trip. There are also tons of places to camp or accommodations to choose from.

Here are a few sites to check out:
    Cog Wild - shuttles and tours in Bend Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours in Bend, Oregon 97701
    COTA - Bend trail alliance who maintains the trails: Central Oregon Trail Alliance
    Oregon Adventures - shuttles and tours in Oakridge: Welcome to Single Track Paradise! | Oregon Adventures
    Willamette Mountain Mercantile - bike shop and visitors center for bikers in Oakridge: Willamette Mountain Mercantile-Oakridge Bike Shop
    Ashland Mountain Adventures - shuttles and much more: Ashland Mountain Adventures

Hope you make it our way - you won't be dissapointed!!! Weather wise, no humidity but expect warm/hot days and cooler nights. Really, perfect weather!!
    Melanie
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    in my opinion, The Pacific Northwest weather will be unbeatable in the States in August (and unbeatable ANYTIME for the beer, as long as you stick to local microbrews, of which there is amazing variety). If you want to stay in one place the whole time then I vote for Bend, Oregon (there is an airport there, not real big). If you want to drive around more I vote for Oregon in general. The post above outlines Bend/Oakridge pretty well, but if you fly into Portland you should spend a day or two in the area. Its a great city. Driving out of Portland you could detour to Blackrock or Sandy Ridge.

Blue skies, low humidity (except the beach), 70s-80s-low 90s depending on where you go. The northwest is famous for rain, but many people don't seem to understand that the summer is GORGEOUS.

Aquaman

What the cog Wild peeps said.

message me if you want more info.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I'm thinking we'll wait until we need to be on the east coast for work or something to explore New England. (that extra 5hrs flying really ramps up the jet lag)
    Haven't heard of Pisgah, google time.
    Oregon is high on the list. Wife wanted to go to the MBO event in August but alas it sold out.
    I'm thinking of bringing my singlespeed for a change, not sure about Kim. Is Bend so 'un-steep' that it's a SS nightmare and Oakridge so steep that it's also SS nightmare???

dog's best friend
    May 2004

Agree with Cog Wild and others

Bend and Oakridge would be fine locations that time of year. Also in the area, if you find Bend too hot in August:

MacKenzie River Trail - northwest of Bend on the way to Portland

North Umpqua River Trail - southwest of Bend

Ape Canyon and Plains of Abraham, Mt St Helens. Lewis River Trail. Both in Washington just north of Portland.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    MacKenzie River Trail - northwest of Bend on the way to Portland
    Yeah, this trail is super fun. Shuttle it. Will give you a taste of some big trees and some great views.

mtbr member
    We live in TX where the temps are hover around the 100 mark every day. Colorado is our usual destination. The ski areas are nice since they are at high altitudes and you can ride the trails down and the lifts back up. Also nice hiking and absolutely beautfiul.

The Pacific NW is great as well as Cog Wild so astutely told you......

mtbr member
    not to rag on the Pacific Northwest (where I live) but Colorado would be sweet in August. Crested Butte - Durango - etc... they have huge mountain riding that doesn't even clear of snow until July/August

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    We have been meaning to get to Crested Butt for years. Worried August may be marginally early as far as dry trails etc goes. Looks like Oregon is on for this trip.
    MacKenzie River sounds like a cool ride so will try to organise a shuttle for that one. Can anyone offer a top 5 or 10 rides to check out?? hmmm, maybe I should head over to the Oregon list.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Yes, I would check out the Oregon forum. Lots of helpful folks there.

Here's some more info:

Oakridge Oregon Mountain Biking

The Trails | Mountain Bike Oregon

And if you decide to head up to Washington state, check out this:

All pages (Trail namespace) - Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've ridden McKenzie River trail twice, it's really beautiful but I've not ridden North Umpqua Trail and all my friends who've ridden both say it's better. In northern California a trail I hope to hit someday is Paradise Royale where mountain bikers have the right of way over hikers and horses, a rarity, espically in CA.
    agmtb

mtbr dismember

Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada is perfect that time of year. Here is just one example. Everyone has different preferences, but I've ridden both McKenzie River and North Umpqua in Oregon and they don't compare to Tahoe.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada is perfect that time of year.
    Hey don't I know it. We have ridden there a couple of times before but wanted to try somewhere new. (erm, Tahoe is our fall back position if things aren't to our liking in Oregon.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You should really look into Sun Valley, Idaho. Hundreds of miles of very nice, loamy trails. great for SS or hardtail. Great climate, lack of crowds. Oh, and I own a house there that I rent out at a very reasonable rate!

mtbr member
    Many of the locations mentioned would be TOO HOT for us. Or maybe Farnold would like the heat?? We've ridden many locations between here which is Houghton MI and the Oregon coast. We'd now have to say some of the trails here have become world class. Ya and they have some climbs. IMBA seems to agree and claims they are indeed a ride to be reckoned with..

Copper Harbor (MI) Bronze-level | International Mountain Bicycling Association

Within the Keweenaw peninsula, we now have 4 systems with around 150 miles of IMBA trails. And these are all different from each other and located within 40 miles of each other. These are Michigan Tech trails, Churning Rapids, Swedetown and of course the Copper Harbor trails. Some photos taken here can be seen at the adventure dogs blog. Oh oh, and we've have 4 small breweries here. All this with a low population base and a average high in August would be about 70 degrees.......

The Trail Mutt Reports

We do plan to get back to Oregon and do the McKenzie river again and check out the Oakridge which was created after we left there..

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by arly; 06-19-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    I haven't been to the Pacific NW, but it sounds pretty sweet. My vote would be CO. So many awesome places to ride there in August. I was in Breckenridge last year the first couple days of Aug and the highs were barely 70deg. A few of the high altitude mtn passes there was still snow on the ground around the trail, the trails had been ridden enough that they were dry and hardpack, so it was quite beautiful though to see snow around you. Breckenridge has close to 200 miles of amazing singletrack and is a cool little town with great restaraunts and bars, really a hidden gem for riding. You could also check out Crested Butte, or Durango that time of year for amazing riding, though Breck would be the easiest to fly into if you fly to Denver. Another spot worth mentioning would be Park City, UT. Really great riding and similar weather that time of year and very cool mtn town and easy access flying into Salt Lake City.

Although I'm a huge fan of Pisgah I would NOT go there in August if I was flying in from overseas unless you want scorcing HOT temps and humidity. I think the best time to ride there is in the Fall when the leaves are changing colors. Then it's an amazing place to ride.

mtbr member
    Colorado might be best next summer. Currently they're having the worst fire season in history.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmdk View Post
    Colorado might be best next summer. Currently they're having the worst fire season in history.
    Big state, many places NOT on fire.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Most the the locations mentioned would melt us in August. If anyone else can't do heat, here is a pro made video of Andrew Shandro and Trek Bikes visit to Copper Harbor, Michigan over the memorial day weekend. Itís really well made and gives you a feel for the terrain here. CH is a Bronze level ride center.

Andrew Shandro and Trek Bikes visit Copper Harbor, Michigan Video - Pinkbike

Go figure CH is our favorite ride location near here! Do note most of the trails and this video were shot on BLUE ones.

Hereís the trails web site. www.copperharbortrails.org
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think Oakridge trails on the average are more interesting, less dusty, and more choices than Bend. Most trails are cruiser downhills, after a gravel road climb. Not much rock and the trails were not designed for biking, so can be steep with tight turns, and occasional awkward hike-a-bike spots. The scenery is nice, but it's not as spectacular as Durango or Crested Butte. Great places to camp along the rivers for free if you poke around, and the trails are surprisingly unpopulated. Crested Butte, CO is more of a biking scene, very high elevation, summer thunderstorms, and spectacular wildflowers and mountain scenery. If you go there, you might as well go up to Monarch Pass and ride the Monarch Crest Trail out of Salida. Shuttle service for that one. All these areas have what I call "Average Joe trails", not real technical, but fun for everybody. Oh, and South Lake Tahoe has been hard at work, improving old trails and building new ones.