mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tucson v San Diego at Christmas

Ive been able to secure some extended vacation time at Christmas and will have about a week off work. Im hoping to get somewhere warm and sunny and squeeze in a couple of days riding.

Opinions on either of the above during late December? Anything to consider as Ive not been to either location before.

Ill have access to a rental car if needed for any out of town riding/tourist hotspots.

Any specific sources of info to recommend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Check average daily temps as Tucson has more elevation and might be colder for sure. I am going south at Thanksgiving and picked Vegas and Morro Bay/SLO area.

mtbr member
    I'd guess SD would have better weather. Tuscon might be colder, then again, it might be a mild winter. Hard to say. I go to SD pretty frequently for work, and I can't remember a single day the weather wasn't really nice.

SD is a big city, Tuscon isn't. That means places to stay in SD are a lot more expensive, but there's more non-bike stuff to do (and much, much better restaurants). There's also more big-city annoyances like traffic. but there are a hell of a lot more flights in and out.

I enjoyed the riding in Tuscon more, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Christmas is when Tucson has the '8ish Days of Christmas' free MTB festival. From about Christmas Day to around New Years, daily and some night rides. Trails from 2400' to 9157'. Only the mornings are chilly and with over 450 miles of trails only the Noble Canyon area has trails as good. Search TucsonMTB.com as the holidays approach for the festival ride schedule.
    If you love tech Milagrosa is a must ride, near as good as Noble but tougher.
    I would disagree with Joules assesment that SD will have better restaurants.There are defiantely more. The Mexican food in Tucson is MUCH better and if you can find a better Italian restaurant than Gavi's or better pizza than Tinos I'd like to know where.
    Last edited by abegold; 11-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    agmtb

2006 Yeti AS-X
    i was in Tucson January 2010 and i was wearig tshirts in town...75 degrees and comfortable. Now, the mountains around Tucson - different story.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So, slightly more votes for Tucson at the moment but nothing too conclusive! Must start looking at flight prices and accommodation prices...thanks so far

Be happy......go riding
    If your focus riding, I would say Tucson. If your non-riding time is more important then I would say San Diego. There's a wider range of things to do off the trail in San Diego, but I'd venture to say that you have a better selection of trails in Tucson. There might be a slightly greater chance of some cooler days in Tucson, but they get plenty of warm days there that time of the year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live in SD County and work for the City of SD. I like the riding here but all the best spots are definitely spread out unless you stay in East County. Noble Cyn, lake Morena and the Big Laguna Trail are (3) of my regular stops out that way. I've never ridden in Tucson but it's on my short list for my sons Spring Break.

In response to Abe, I've ridden all over the western US and traveled all over (including Mexico) and **NO PLACE** has better Mexican food than San Diego. As for pizza, I've had stellar pizza in 100 different cities so that's hard to choose one over the other. Italian? The Little Italy area downtown has several great restauarants. I'm partial to a place names Moma Mia's but I haven't been there in years.