mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Trip Planning: Asheville, NC Area

My buddy and I are planning a trip this summer (sometime July 22 - Aug 22) to the Asheville, NC area for a 1 - 1.5 week MTB adventure! I have ridden the Dupont during family vacations in the past, but have not had the opportunity to ride the areas other trails.

I would love to get yalls input on trails in the area... within 1.5hrs. Pisgah & Tsali are definitely on my list of rides. Which ones are the Do's & which ones are the DoNots? We both ride AM rigs and are ready for anything thrown at us!

We are planning on camping! I have stayed at Cascade Lake (just outside Dupont). Are there any other good, centrally located campgrounds?

Thanks for helping make this a great trip!
    ~Kirby

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We visited Tsali for a week last spring. It's an absolutely spectacular trail system, but if you ride an AM bike, I think you might be "overbiked" for that place. It's more about fast and flowy than airtime.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh we love flowy trails as well! Thanks for your input though! I cannot wait to get out there!

Go make a difference
    Davidson River campground is the closest and best campground to the riding in Pisgah and Dupont.

I'm pretty familiar with Pisgah and lead groups there all the time so I can help you put together a good trip plan if you like. I also do trips / have lodging (cabins and bunkhouse) over by the Ocoee River in TN. You could ride a few days at Pisgah / Dupont then head over to the Ocoee and ride Tanasi and Chilhowee and top it all off with a rafting trip on the river! If you're a touch more adventurous, I have a route where we can ride from camp to the Hiawassee River, paddle the Hiawassee, then ride back to camp. About a 40 mile MTB day but tons of fun!

Let me know if I can help!

charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Davidson River campground is the closest and best campground to the riding in Pisgah and Dupont.

I'm pretty familiar with Pisgah and lead groups there all the time so I can help you put together a good trip plan if you like. I also do trips / have lodging (cabins and bunkhouse) over by the Ocoee River in TN. You could ride a few days at Pisgah / Dupont then head over to the Ocoee and ride Tanasi and Chilhowee and top it all off with a rafting trip on the river! If you're a touch more adventurous, I have a route where we can ride from camp to the Hiawassee River, paddle the Hiawassee, then ride back to camp. About a 40 mile MTB day but tons of fun!

Let me know if I can help!

charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com

I was actually looking at your website the other day (found it in a different thread). Unfortunately I am running this trip on a college budget, and therefore cannot afford an outfitters rates.

Thank you so much for the suggestion on Davidson River Campground. I will definitely look it up! I am always open to as much info I can get!

Thanks again!
    ~Kirby

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I also vote for Dupont, Tsali and Pisgah. Tanasi is about 2.5 hours from Asheville towards chattanooga. camping at davidson river and tsali can be a bit warm during the summer, but both campgrounds are in great locations. I also want to point out riding in the asheville area consists of Bent Creek and kitsuma. You can camp in bent creek but it also is warm in the summer - I'm not sure if biking this part you wouldn''t want to just get a motel room and visit the downtown. happy travels

mtbr member
    Bent Creek and Pisgah are amazing and there are plenty of trails at Pisgah to keep you busy. Contact Jason at Carolina Fatz bike shop in Asheville or the guys down at The Hub at Backcountry Outfitters in Brevard and they can certainly give you some good routes to hit.

Tsali is fun, but if you're riding AM rigs and want a little more challenging terrain you may find Tsali a bit tame. Don't get me wrong, Tsali is nice and has spectacular views, but the trails are VERY smooth and flowing and not that technical at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the help so far everyone! Just made our reservations at Cascade Lake Campground in the Dupont Forest. We will be staying 4 nights... 3 days of riding!

Now comes the planning part! I am still looking into different trail systems ans such.

My next planning step is to start getting together a food list. I will have some camp cookware, including a hotplate. Any ideas on good camp/riding food?

My ideas:
    Breakfast: Protein/Carb based... Maybe Egg, Ham, & Cheese Sandwiches?
    Lunch: ?
    Dinner: Carb Based! So far I am planning on packing some frozen chili to put over spaghetti.

~MK

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Has anybody ridden in Black Mountain, NC? I hear there is an intense trail there somewhere. Black Mountain is definitely on the schedule to visit... I always try to stop in town to eat at "My Father's Pizza"... BEST PIZZA PLACE EVER!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you haven't figured it out yet the trail in Black Mountain you're referring to is probably Heartbreak Ridge and/or Kitsuma. Both are killer trails and worth a visit if you're planning to be in that area (probably not worth the trip from Brevard just to do them - there's plenty in Pisgah to keep you busy for 3 days). Take the Toll Road up to the Parkway and bomb Heartbreak from there. Hit Kitsuma from the Black Mountain/Ridgecrest side for a nice long downhill.

Have fun!!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So are plans continue! Starting to map out our routes for the Dupont. I have about a 25 mile loop encompassing the south side trails using Falling's Trail loop: http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-carolina/dupont-loop-15-25-miles-279242.html#post2849130 I am familiar with most of these trails, and am greatly looking forward to hitting the ones I have not been on.

I am looking for a loop out of the Guion Farm or Lake imaging Parking areas. I plan on using this trail on the day we get up there, so we want to keep it shorter. Prob 15 mile range (a good warmup for the trip). I have a map, but I was hoping to get some input on a good loop.

Any advice?

Also, I have hiked out of Hooker Falls parking area many times. I do not recall seeing MTBers. Is MTB off limits from this trailhead? Thanks again for all your help!

~MK

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just mapped out a good 13 mile trail from Lake Imaging Parking Area. I referenced TB_Daniel's loop.... http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?p=1098

Sounds like we have our dupont loops planned. Time to plan out Tsali & Pisgah.

~MK

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Thirsty Monk. Don't miss it!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Leaving this Wednesday! CANNOT WAIT!

Go make a difference
    Missed your earlier comment because I've been playing river hippie (guiding rafting trips on the Ocoee River) -- Of course my posted rates are market and there's always room for flexibility. I've not lost a client because of rates -- We can always work it out!

Have a great trip!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!