mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Trail Conditions in Central Oregon

Hey guys,

My friend and I had originally planned a pretty sick bikepacking trip from Bend to Mt. Hood (climbing it), then south to the Three Sisters basically along the Sierra Cascades+McKenzie River Trail (climbing the sisters), then back to Bend. All the snow and rain we're hearing about is pretty concerning to us. WE NEED YOUR BETA!!!

What are the bike trail conditions between Bend and the Three Sisters? We're looking at everything from Metolius-Windigo north to McKenzie Hwy.

Any reports on the McKenzie River Trail?

And thoughts or ideas on the snowpack on the Sierra-Cascades Route from Hood to McKenzie River? We're supposed to be going from May 13-22 but we don't want to get stuck in snow on a high pass.

Alternately, what are the conditions on any of the Oregon Three Rivers routes? (besides McKenzie since I just asked that)

Please let us know! I have to ship my bike tomorrow (Wed. May 4) to get it there in time with cushion.

THANKS!

Daniel

mtbr member
    Hi there, I think we talked via email as well. The higher elevation trails are not normally available until July and the mosquitoes are normally not gone until August. If you are fine climbing in snow conditions, you will be fine, but with all the snow we have had, i would not expect to be hiking snow free until August. This means Metolius Windigo will not be available higher up for months.
    Bikes are also not allowed in the Wilderness areas, which includes all the climbs you plan. Just want to make sure you are aware of that.
    Trail riding wise, trails are open near Bend, Oakridge and Hood River. Higher elevation stuff is not available in any of these locations. But lower stuff is open and a ton of fun!
    For info for Bend, we can help you.
    For info in Oakridge, contact the Mercantile.
    For info for Hood River, contact Dirty Fingers Bike Shop.

Great idea, but next time I would plan for August to September. These are THE months to access all the trails, minus mosquitoes.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, we had a business trip that paid for the airfare out there now, so we were trying to make it work. We're spoiled with 4-season riding and climbing out here.

But this Fremont Epic Adventure I heard about seems like a pretty good idea...

We'll be coming by when we get to Bend. My friend is planning to rent a bike from you guys and one of my friends here in Atlanta (store manager at a small REI store; you probably know who he is without me saying a name) recommended I get in touch with you folks. Thank you so much for your help both through email and on this message board!

Best,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Ahh, playing the J card. Even without that, do stop by so we can steer you in the right direction or join you for a ride. And yes, the Fremont is a great idea, as long as you pass the test to get in!
    See you when you get here.
    PS - it is still early season, so we are not in the office all hours yet. Just a heads up if you get here and we are not here. The bike shop below is also full of great info!

Melanie
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild
    Ahh, playing the J card.
    I'm not sure if this is a good thing or an automatic strike against me... haha, see ya on Friday!