Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Switzerland or Scotland

I am thinking of doing a mountain biking tour next year and have found these two tours:

Coast-to-coast mountain bike tour Scotland - Highlands and Islands Adventures

Mountain Bike Tour of Mont Blanc France Chamonix French Alps France Switzerland Italy

Does any one recommend one over the other or have any other recommendations of good tours around the world? Looking for something relatively challenging and unforgettable.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did this tour last year wit this company and had a great time. Lots of riding each day.

Highland Coast to Coast Mountain Biking Holidays and Biking Tours in the Scottish Highlands from Fort William to Stonehaven

mtbr member
    The Alps guides were booked for the time I had off work so went to Wales/Scotland - See ride report here: Cycle Idaho: MTB Scotland

Pedaler
    I would check out this tour and here is a video for it

I work for Bike Tours Direct. We have some awesome options in Scotland and Switzerland. I would also consider Nepal. Let me know if I can help at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rode in Scotland last year with TrailBrakes. I would highly recommend them. Pete and Christine are fantastic. Lots of great trails and spectacular countryside.

Highland Coast to Coast Mountain Biking Holidays and Biking Tours in the Scottish Highlands from Fort William to Stonehaven

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    I am thinking of doing a mountain biking tour next year and have found these two tours:

Coast-to-coast mountain bike tour Scotland - Highlands and Islands Adventures

Mountain Bike Tour of Mont Blanc France Chamonix French Alps France Switzerland Italy

Does any one recommend one over the other or have any other recommendations of good tours around the world? Looking for something relatively challenging and unforgettable.

Thanks!
    I've done both...trust me, the food in Switzerland is better, plus you have the option of riding in France, Germany, and Italy. In Scotland you have only England, although I like the curry there.

Pedaler
    A few other tours for consideration
    Switzerland , Nepal , Annapurna Circuit

We also have tours throughout Asia and Africa. BikeToursDirect represents local bike tour companies all over the world. This allows us to offer a huge selection of tours, at very reasonable prices and the vast majority of the tours we offer are operated and ran by local companies. So the company and guide, if you go on a guided tour, will be native to the area you are riding in. In addition to that, you can pay with American $ through our site.

Regardless of where you choose to go, It sounds like you will be going on an epic trip.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimblewill View Post

We also have tours throughout Asia and Africa. BikeToursDirect represents local bike tour companies all over the world. This allows us to offer a huge selection of tours, at very reasonable prices and the vast majority of the tours we offer are operated and ran by local companies. So the company and guide, if you go on a guided tour, will be native to the area you are riding in. In addition to that, you can pay with American $ through our site.

Regardless of where you choose to go, It sounds like you will be going on an epic trip.
    I like Nepal, but the dates don't work for me...I'm planning on wintering in Goa next winter but will be back in Canada at the end of April. Nepal is nice...I biked in Kashmir and Pakistan as well...north of Srinagar has the best cycling east of the Khyber Pass.

BTW, my cousin is the doctor at the south base camp on Everest during trekking season...let me know when you're there and I'll arrange an intro.
    Last edited by JM01; 12-05-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Pedaler
    JM01,
    These options may be of interest for you this winter. India . This tour departs in March
    and Borneo and if you are really up for an adventure, Burma Both of these have Feb. departures.

Pedaler
    Also, Nepal is on my todo list and if I make it out to Everest soon I will let you know.

banned
    Mar 2005
    JM01,
    These options may be of interest for you this winter. India . This tour departs in March
    and Borneo and if you are really up for an adventure, Burma Both of these have Feb. departures.
    Hmmm...Burma, never been to Burma.

Plan is that we do Goa next year with maybe a few weeks in Turkey, depending on the political situation. I'd like to do Ankara again...maybe head down to the Iranian border for a cup of decap.

banned
    Mar 2005
    JM01,
    Getting close to monsoon season, no?

You've never biked until you're waist deep in water but it's rough on the drive train.

Pedaler
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Getting close to monsoon season, no?

You've never biked until you're waist deep in water but it's rough on the drive train.
    Ha! Yea I have definitely been on my bike through some torrential rains and been on some white water single track descents. You are definitely right about it being rough on the bike too.

And I forgot to mention this tour, which is real close to Goa

I would love to get you guys set up on a tour while you are on your trip. If you see anything else that is of interest on our site let me know.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Also, Nepal is on my todo list and if I make it out to Everest soon I will let you know.
    No worries...Dr. cousin splits her time between Nepal, Whistler BC, and Toronto.

...but I like what I'm doing. Being unemployed for 7 years and not planning on ever working again, Mrs. M. and I can do whatever we want, whenever we want. See you in Nepal in 2 years(?), unless I do the New Zealand to Chile ferry and bike back up to Canada around that time.

So many options...

Pedaler
    It sounds like you have a great thing going. I'm a little jealous. If you guys ever want to do a bike tour anywhere let me know. We have over 370 tours to chose from and we are adding several new tours every day.

I'm not sure where I'll go next but I'll keep you posted.

banned
    Mar 2005
    It sounds like you have a great thing going. I'm a little jealous. If you guys ever want to do a bike tour anywhere let me know. We have over 370 tours to chose from and we are adding several new tours every day.

I'm not sure where I'll go next but I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, I've checked your site but I'm still too young for guided or prepackaged tours. We like to be spontaneous, make no plans beyond a couple of days out, sometimes take off with less than 3 hours notice. Great last minute deals if you can leave on a few minutes notice. Drives my insurance agent nuts.

I envy a couple of my neighbours though...one couple has a collapsible tandem that fits into a suitcase...they do the world, just got back from a few months in Thailand, now they're off to Brazil. Another couple on my street has matching Trek Pilot 2.1's...they rode to Miami from Toronto a few weeks ago, spent the summer cycling to Cape Breton and PEI. And they're still talking...more fun than hanging wallpaper.

Pedaler
    We have a lot of self-guided tours as well. While we would need a little more notice than a few hours, we can make some last minute bookings happen if you do see something that strikes a nerve.

I know some folks with the collapsable tandems. They are super nice things to have. I also have a friend who recently flew to San Francisco with his bike and a trailer and rode it across the states to a beach in North Carolina. All by himself. Pretty awesome stuff. Definitely more fun than hanging wall paper, and I would even say more fun than painting walls as well..

~ B A D A S S ~
    What about Swaziland or Sweden those looks like middle of the road there kinda. In scotland it rains alot, and in switzerland its hot and nice. Sweden would be some kind of intermediate between those 2. Swaziland I don't actually know much about but I guess it can't be that bad since4 it starts with sw. more exotic I would presume, maybe hucking some elephants?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Pedaler
    Despite not starting with an "S", Iceland has some cool offerings as well. But if the "S" is necessary, don't forget about Spain.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Despite not starting with an "S", Iceland has some cool offerings as well. But if the "S" is necessary, don't forget about Spain.
    +1...Iceland is nice, in a sort of barren way. Lots of rocks, not may trails, and all that steam just escaping from holes in the ground. Very scenic, especially along the coast. Most of the locals drink way too much and eat odd things like sheep's eyes. Sort of like giant caviar as the eyes pop on your palate.

I thought that Corsica and even Sardinia were more interesting.

mtbr member

I think I will do the Coast to Coast Scotland next year, with Highland. I'm Scottish, and have MTB'd around the world, so many places EXCEPT Scotty Land. But I have never paid for an actual tour, but I deserve it now.

Nimblewill - I saw your Annapurna Circuit tour in Nepal. Having done this so long ago, I can't imagine they would do this CCW!? You milk the singletrack the other direction, and I've heard the Kalikandaki Valley is so 'roaded'.

Might see you in Scotland!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    I think I will do the Coast to Coast Scotland next year, with Highland. I'm Scottish, and have MTB'd around the world, so many places EXCEPT Scotty Land. But I have never paid for an actual tour, but I deserve it now.

Nimblewill - I saw your Annapurna Circuit tour in Nepal. Having done this so long ago, I can't imagine they would do this CCW!? You milk the singletrack the other direction, and I've heard the Kalikandaki Valley is so 'roaded'.

Might see you in Scotland!

I'm going to do the June one. You in???

mtbr member
    Now you have thrown the gauntlet down! Full of Guinness, between shots of whiskey.
    I was looking at June primarily too. And that slight incentive -you being indicative of who & how many are interested, I better make my mind up really soon. There are only so many slots, and from previous customer's feedback the 'coast to coast' sounds popular. I love the idea of rolling into a different town each day's end. The whole point to point arrangement; the sequential links along the breadth of country. Hope to report in here pronto with my commitment!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sweet! I am going to send in my deposit here really soon. Post up when you do as well! We could touch base via email or Facebook too.

I think they allow a maximum of 8 people per tour. So I am guessing they will fill up quickly after the first of the year!

Pedaler
    You guys are going to have a great time. H&I Adventure's is one of several outstanding operators that we represent on our site, Bike Tours Direct: Bicycle tours in Europe and beyond . We can book the Coast to Coast tour for you and handle the deposit and payment. We can also accept payment in US$. If you are already in Scotland though, it may be just as easy or easier to go directly to H&I.

As far as the Annapurna Circuit tour goes. I am not sure why our operator has chosen that direction for the route. I have heard great things about that route either way though. We are also in the process of adding some more tours in Nepal to our ever growing selection of tours.

We also just added a tour in Mongolia that looks amazing. This tour is for the true adventurer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast