Tire Geek O_o

New question here. Summer job in a bike shop in USA/CANADA?

Hi there, I am not sure where to post this, so IŽll start here.

Why am I asking this? Well I am an engineer 30, I have been a consultant for a while, traveling much and having almost no time for personal life. I love AM biking, and i am a DH enthusiast, I love reading about bikes and ride testing stuff (particularly tires, which are the most accessible components).

I have decided to take a break, and thus left my job in December 2010, I have recently returned to Mexico (i am mexican) and started looking for jobs. The panorama looks pretty grim and havent found anything yet.

Last night it the idea of having a part time job in a bike shop (my first thought was in whistler) during the summer where I could make some money, and most importantly, ride every day and learn about bike mechanics from the ground up wouldnt be such a bad idea. After all I have nothing better todo and this could be a fun adventure before life and age settles in.

I have if this crazy thought is possible and no idea where can I start looking for options.
    Therefore I decided to post it and see how it goes.

I will appreciate any info or advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You can definitely get a job at a bike shop for the summer.

My suggestion is to put together a good resume, including your professional engineering experience, and in your cover letter explain how you are an intelligent, educated person who is interested in working temporarily/part time at a bike shop for the summer season.

Then, call around and talk to the managers and owners of bike shops. If you impress them on the phone and can send them a good resume, I think most bike shops would be thrilled to have you around in some fashion.

Especially if you'll work Saturday mornings!

Tire Geek O_o
    Thanks ss85, I will definitely devote this week to find something =) I really and badly need some weeks in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Whistler might be the most difficult due to the quantity of riders spending the summers, plus living there can be pricey. There are lots of other gems for riding in the BC interior with less crowds, cheaper rental housing and great trails. Check out places like Rossland (great epic AM, good shuttles), Fernie (trails a-plenty out your door, chairlift access right by town - 8 minute drive, 20 by bike), Kamloops (lots of trails, ski hill is about a 45 minute drive, very hot during summer), Golden (great shuttles, ski resort close by), Merritt (keep hearing great things about AM/XC trails), Nelson (if you want crazy tech terrain and have a lot of skills) etc.

Tire Geek O_o
    Great info, thanks Martin!