Thread: snowshoe WV

Home Mechanic
    Jan 2011

snowshoe WV

anyone know anything about snowhoe mountain biking in west virginia? i live not ridiculously far but would love to got there for a weekend trip.

powered by peanut butter.
    We didn't ride at the resort, but there are lots and lots of XC trails in the Slatyfork area that are awesome. The Monogehala National Forest is full great, and free, trails. That said, I'm sure the resort is tons of fun too. We just didn't have the money to spend on lift passes and bike rentals.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Snowshoe Mountain Bike Park is the most fun place to ride within a 9 hour drive from me!!! We get out there at least 2-3 times each year. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a Bike Park and therefore a Park Bike will be needed to get the full Snowshoe experience...6"-7" travel FS bike at a minimum.
    Brandon
    09 Santa Cruz Superlight
    00 Diamondback XR-4
    99 Specialized S-Works

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWNDFIZ View Post
    Snowshoe Mountain Bike Park is the most fun place to ride within a 9 hour drive from me!!! We get out there at least 2-3 times each year. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a Bike Park and therefore a Park Bike will be needed to get the full Snowshoe experience...6"-7" travel FS bike at a minimum.
    Snowshoe is a ton of fun but I disagree with a park bike being a requirment. We went up on hardtail XC bikes and had a ball. I don;t think we missed any trails either. Skipped several obstacles, but i would have skipped them on any bike.

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    Snowshoe is really fun for downhill! I'm pretty much 99% a XC rider, but Snowshoe is definitely a fun place to give downhilling a try. I've been up there twice, once to XC ride (solely) and the second time with the intention of XC, but gave the DH scene a try and had a great time. I know there are places in and around Snowshoe for XC and it's all very challenging.

The DH bikes aren't a requirement, but renting one really added to the experience (worth EVERY penny)... or at least bringing along a FS. I also rode hardtail and had fun, but the FS/DH made it a hell of a lot more fun. Definitely ride the Western Territory DH for the best natural features. The Basin side has a lot of man made features (which get exponentially more difficult with rain). My fav DH run was Missing Link to Powerline. Really fun!

I'm making Snowshoe a yearly trip for riding: DH at least for a day and I'm bringing the hardtail to hit up the XC trails on the way to/from Snowshoe and while I'm there as well.

mtbr member
    I went up to Snowshoe this year and it was a lot of fun, They have a good mix of stuff for beginners as well as better riders. I wouldn't rent a bike there if you can help it though. They charge $125 per day!!!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Hey guys, sorry to necro this thread...

I am hoping to check out SnowShoe next month for a few days and I'm wondering if my Superfly hardtail would be sufficient for most trails? I am relatively new to mtb and won't be bombing off any huge obstacles but I thoroughly enjoy hauling arse and flowing downhill. Should I be concerned about this park with my current setup?