mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Rental Car for bikes

Hi, Will be on vacation for week soon and need to rent a car that will hold 2 people and 2 bikes. There is a great deal currently for a new Chevy Impala. Does anyone know if a bike could fit behind the front seats and another in the trunk, of course with wheels and seat posts removed? I'm skeptical. Thanks.

mtbr member

Rental cars

This has always posed a problem in the past. It get's even worst when you have a larger group. I have rented Pick Up trucks in the past, or once we rented a van and strapped all the bike boxes on the top. Lucky we could ride from the place we were staying. Your other option is to buy a small bike rack for the trunk or spend a lot of money and get the rack held by suction cups.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    seems unlikely 2 assembled bikes would fit in an Impala unless both riders are really short (small bikes). Even then, if you're flying I don't see any way 2 travel cases are fitting.

I guess I've just gotten lucky, 95% of the time I travel with my bike, the rental car company has given me a suv, van or truck and not charged me beyond the mid-size rate that per diem covers.
    I always just wing it, worst case you pay for an upgrade, which they're always happy to do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I feel a mini van is the best option, better security for the bikes when you go to a store or stop somewhere for lunch. Plenty of room for gear and most are extremely comfortable and easy to drive.

mtbr member
    Second the mini van. Although I've never owned one, my recently retired co-worker always carried two road bikes in the back of his Chrysler minivan. They fit easily with the rear bench down and the front tire removed. I'd always give him crap about driving a minivan whenever he drove us to lunch. He just pointed back to the bikes and said "That's why. They stay clean and safe inside."

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I like a minivan. In fact, after renting one, I replaced my car with one.

Birdman aka JMJ
    SUV and bikes.jpg

An SUV will do, if you bring along some fork-mounts that are bolted to a piece of plywood.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Last summer I checked minivan, SUV rental prices at Denver airport, and they were waaaaaay higher than car rental. Not sure why. In the past, I have rented pickups for a decent price though.

I bought a bike rack that folds up very compact. I haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

I can't remember what brand mine is, but the concept is like this one:

Allen Sports Ultra Compact Folding 1-Bike Trunk Mount Rack : Amazon.com : Automotive

Big Hittin'
    rent a SUV or Mini Van. Problem solved.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Just looked at Kayak.com.

Minivans are $50-$90 per day compared with $12-$35 per day for economy/intermediate/full-size cars.

Of course with all the taxes, it ends up being more than that too.

Still, though, the benefit of minimal hassle and safety of locking the bikes in the minivan is probably worth it.