mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Recommended Trails - Denver/ Moab

Hi

After some advice - please bear with the questions!
    I'm planning a trip to the US from the UK in spring this year to ride the trails at Moab. I'm planning to spend 3 weeks in the US with 4-5 days at Moab. Is this sufficient?
    I'm interested in where else riders would recommend I ride whilst I'm over there?

I'd say I'm an average rider - looking 20-25m day rides. For those that know UK trail classifications I'll ride red stuff and most black - have experienced enough to know when to walk!

I'm flying into/ out of Denver so I'm thinking Moab is approx 180m from Denver and prob furthest I'll go out without wasting too many days travelling.

Friends have suggested Fruita and Gunnison - what are peoples recommendations?

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers
    Jules

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi... I read this on the Colorado forum also and you are getting a mix of advice. On your 3 week trip here is it all for riding? Only 4-5 days in Moab? You could do more there. Moab is about a 7 hour drive, maybe more, to Moab. You could break the trip up by going to Fruita/Grand Junction. There is enough riding there for 3-4 days or more if you wanted. Head to Moab from there, only a few hours. Then another 7 hours to the south is Sedona, AZ which could keep you entertained for a week. From there back to the Durango/Mesa Verde area for a week. From there another 8 hours to get back to Denver.

I have ridden in Scotland and can't compare at all. Moab and Sedona are out of this world riding, completely different. Grippy sandstone, lots of sand, step ups and downs, techy, flowy, and all of the above.

If you are coming from that far away, I would want to guarantee the most riding, I would head to these places. Most likely the Colorado High country will be cold and snowy still.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Jules, my brother (from Norway) and I are doing Moab for seven days in the beginning of May. We're also trying to figure out what trails to hit. White Rim seems like the must-hit, but we'll need to go with some company for support. Kind of sucks to spend two grand between the two of us for some bottles of water (the rest we could carry on our own), but maybe that's the only way? Anyway, would love to hear from you on what you learn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Tyler. I'll send you a PM with my email address. Maybe I can help you plan your trip. I have traveled a bunch to other countries for mountain biking so I know it's tough to plan when you don't really know the lay of the land. I live in Colorado and go to Moab 2-3 times a year.

mtbr member
    Sooo, what worked? What didn't? How was your trip?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi - Excellent trip thanks everyone for the input. Riding was all good - the "signature" trails @ Moab, Slickrock, Amasa Back and Enchilada are some of the best riding I've every done. BUT - the singletrack at Fruita - especially around the Kokopelli's trail area is absolutely awesome. Fruita is also perhaps a friendlier place being a bit smaller.

Already planning a return trip in 2015 - will prob go in September next time but that wasn't an option this year.

Alps is next on the list....

As it was my first "fly away" ride taking a bike also learnt a fair bit about travelling witha bike etc. Getting the excess baggage cover from the airline is like pulling teeth but worth it for peace of mind - especially as your bike insurance prob won't cover you whilst the bike is checked in "out of your possession".

mtbr member
    Sounds like you ended up with a good schedule

I never pass up a chance to share my Fruita/Kok pic: