mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Recommendations in/around Ga?

My friend and I both just got into mountain biking pretty recently and were loving it. We have rode Dauset trails (jackson, Ga) 4-5 times so far i think and its a ton of fun but we are looking for more variety. We have done all of the more advanced stuff and we are both able to ride ~20 miles without needing an extended break. We are hoping to take a mini vacation before i start back to school (or on a few weekends once i do start back) but we dont know anywhere good to go near by. Anyone have some suggestions? I live ~40 minutes south of Atlanta so more local trails would be awesome or just some ideas for a 2-3 day trip.

bust a move
    I ride in N GA a couple times a year and I must say it is all pretty sweet. Do a little searching in the southeast forum and there are many many suggestions. There is a guy who posts in that forum (I think its mtbgreg) and he also has a blog "greg rides trails" and he is all about north ga. Anyway, a few of my favorites are most of the trails near elijay including (bear creek & pinhotti 1,2), In gainesville is Chicopee system, Blankets creek in woodstock, Unicoi in Helen and Bull Mountian in Dahlonega (some chunk).

Some great out of state rides are:
    TN, Tanasi @ Ocoee whitewater center
    SC, FATS, just a few miles from Augusta & Issaqueena trail near Clemson
    NC, Tsali near bryson city, Jackrabbit mt. near the GA/NC state line, Pisgah NF, Bent Creek and Dupont Forest (maybe the best mtb in the eastern US and 3 places are near Brevard)

As far as being near great trails, I wish I lived in your area...it takes me 6 hours just to get to Jackson from Fl. I don't think it is a stretch to say that you might have 250 trails within a 5 to 6 hour drive of your location.

I like that dausett system you've been riding too! Just go up there and ride...Its ALL good
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 07-29-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: additional info

Go make a difference
    All good options above

If you're looking for a mini-vacation, then why not mix it up and have a ton of fun in a short time?! If you go to the Ocoee area, you can ride two different trail systems (about 60 miles of singletrack total), raft the river (with my company of course!), stay in comfortable cabins or yurts (again, with my company -- for cheap!), and then there's the general comradery with mtn bikers and raft guides.

There are also many other trails within a short distance of the Ocoee -- Tsali is about 45 min away, Raccoon Mtn is about 45 min, Blue Ridge / Ellijay (so you have Stanley Gap et al and the Pinhotis / Bear Creek et al) is nearby as well.

Yea, selfless plug I know, but I truly can set you up with a super package and you can do self-guided rides if you like. Even if you go self-guided, I'll gladly help you map out some rides. If I'm up there and not guiding on the river, I'd love to ride with ya for fun.

Let me know what we can do for ya! (charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com).
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

banned
    My favorite spot is
    here!