Merendon Junkie

Recommend me an epic US destination!

Hello Everyone,

Its been a more than a year since I started doing mtb here in my native contry of Honduras. I mostly get to do non technical trails with very long climbs and then a long way down, but what I really like is moderate technical flowy stuff be it a widish trail or single track, where I can get some air and shred some berms. There very few options for this where I live and the few I have been able to ride have made me feel like I was an 8yr old at disneyland.

I want to take it to the next level. I want to travel to the US to experience the best MTB of my life, the problem is, I cant decide where to go. Pisgah and lake tahoe/downieville have grasped my attention. I am interested in riding flowy trails with moderate techical features like moderate drops (3 or 4 feet max), smallish jumps, berms etc, the kind of stuff you could ride on a bike like say, a specialized camber (120mm fork), all that coupled with great scenery.
    As of right now, I am leaning towards pisgah because it is about 400 dollars cheaper to get there from where I am. So my questions to your guy are:
    Will pisgah satisfy my needs or would you recommend I go somewhere else?
    What would be the best time of the year to go? I was thinking june or july
    Is a whole week at one of these places too much, too little or just right?

Thanks,
    Abel F

mtbr member
    jumps drops berms? Not in the US but sounds like you need to go to Whistler. Great scenery too. The lift access bike park has more berms jumps drops table tops than you could shake a stick at, then there are more XC/AM trails outside of the park that are awesome as well. You will definitely feel like an 8 yr old at Disneyland haha. Best time of year is july, august, first half of sept. Crankworx festival in the middle of august is cool although it's busy. Full+Half Nelson in Squamish (40 min south of whis) will blow your mind as well.

mtbr member
    You didn't mention how long you were planning on staying wherever you end up going, for me that's a big part of it: does the destination have enough trails to keep you busy every day? Will you be riding the same areas?

I try to hit Pisgah, Tsali, and Ft Dupont once a year or so, and really enjoy it, but Tsali is the only one of those I think of as flowy. It's also [long] driving distance for me, so I don't tend to think of it as a 'once in a lifetime' type ride. The scenery is nice, but it's not utterly amazing like you'd have out west.

Fruita and Grand Junction, CO I think would give you everything you're looking for. Flying into Denver, driving to Moab, riding there for a day, then driving the rest of the way to Fruita and riding there 3-4 days makes a really nice trip.

No Stranger to danger....
    Downtown Detroit ..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Downtown Detroit ..
    Tell me more, will be in Detroit next may!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm with Joules....Fruita/Grand Junction/Moab would be my 1st choice.

Tahoe has some of EVERYTHING, including full blown downhill at Northstar.

I can't comment on Pisgah....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    St George, Utah. WIth Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek Mountain, Slickrock Swamp, Guacamole, Grafton Mesa, Zen and many more in the area it's my favorite riding area, even over Moab. I'd avoid summer, too hot.
    If you did go in summer Brianhead, Navajo Lake, the Virgin River Rim Trail are all cool higher altitude treats.
    agmtb

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Jackson Hole/Teton Valley if you are coming July-September. Because unless you are a 5:00 am ranger, you don't want to be in the desert!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Most trail networks in the US are not bike specific, meaning most don't have the banked turns and jumps built into the trails. There are plenty of trails like that, but they're scattered around pretty widely. In British Columbia there tends to be more bike specific trail networks. Squamish BC has a lot of that, and Whistler, which is an expensive ski town, has the lift served bike park and lots of XC trails in the valley. Squamish and Whistler are about an hour apart. In the US, Crested Butte has a lot of trails that are fast cruisers and the scenery is awesome. Durango is somewhat similar. The altitude may take some time for you to get used to, though, and the trails are not really built bike specific. Pisgah would be hot and humid-like Honduras-in the summer, and trails are probably more spread out, requiring more driving to get to various trails. Tahoe and Downieville have the best summer weather, but a lot of the trails might be rockier then what you might be looking for. The desert areas like Moab are generally rocky and hot in summer.

Coming from Honduras, I think the most memorable trip for you might be Colorado, because the scenery will be so different from what you are used to. Go to Durango first to get used to the altitude for a couple days, then work your way up to the high country on the Colorado Trail up above Durango. Take the beautiful drive over to Crested Butte for more biking, then maybe finish off the trip by going to the Monarch Crest Trail over by Poncho Springs. That's one of the classics. If that doesn't do it for you, you better take up another sport! I think it was a bit dry in Colorado this winter, so you should be able to get into the high country fairly early-like mid June.

backwoods and backwards
    Millstone Trails Association...techy

Kingdom Trails Association...flowy like no where else

Highland Mountain Bike Park...jumpy, burmy

fly into Boston or Hartford
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.