mtbr member

Puerto Rico / Culebra?

We've been going to Culebra, PR for several years now. We've rented MTBs a few times on Culebra, but there really aren't many (any?) trail options on the island. Surely, Puerto Rico must have some sweet singletrack, especially in and around El Yunque or Camuy or Arecibo? Please post up if you can steer me in the right direction. We leave on October 7! Can't wait!

--Phil
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    We've been going to Culebra, PR for several years now. We've rented MTBs a few times on Culebra, but there really aren't many (any?) trail options on the island. Surely, Puerto Rico must have some sweet singletrack, especially in and around El Yunque or Camuy or Arecibo? Please post up if you can steer me in the right direction. We leave on October 7! Can't wait!

--Phil
    I'll check with my PR partner and let you know.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    I have been going to PR every year for the last 33 years and have been to El Yunque a few times. I have never ridden any trails there, but started to look into it a bit last year and did'nt find anything really appetizing.
    If there is some good Single track to be ridden, Please post that info up

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am from PR moved to USA about 4 years ago. I used to ride back home a lot best trail I liked was over in the Albergue Olimpico in Salinas, we did have some other local trails around where I lived in Guaynabo and Bayamon. Also remember riding some trails over in Dorado and Barceloneta. I do not know it they still exist actually trying to find out myself at the moment. We do have hills and mountains everywhere so not very hard to make some singletrack.

Enjoy Culebra I certainly miss PR, even thought I now live in Key West there is no comparison!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think the most popular one these days is Cerro Gordo. There is some info online/google about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Uff this is my thread. I am puertorrican and live in Puerto Rico. This is MTB heaven. Trails in limestone/sand near the ocean, clay trails up in the mountains, rainforest trails and dry forest trails. All types of extreme. I recommend this web page w ww.mtb-pr.com it is a little outdated but feel free to sign up on it's forum and ask whatever you want. Also you can try w ww.enbiciados.com . Sorry for not putting the sites on an url, still a noob and earning posting privileges. If you want more information, just ask through this thread or hit me up with a PM.

mtbr member
    Hello guys,

I'm from Puerto Rico, we do have several trails in the island. I havent been riding long but i've been to Bosque Cambalache in Arecibo, Monagas in Bayamon (old army base with bunkers around the trail), and hope to go to Cerro Gordo this weekend.

I will try and post directions to these places and pictures.

mtbr member
    Bumping this thread -- I'd be interested in hearing about any Beginner to Intermediate singletrack not too far from San Juan, that my son and I could ride -- we've got a cruise ending there, and will be there for a couple of days.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bump

mtbr member
    @cgg074 -- I didn't end up finding anything that would work for me and my son. I did find this:
    Carabalí Rainforest Park Mountain Bike

But my son was too young to ride, so we didn't follow up.

mtbr member
    This site has some good info:
    LINKS: mtb-pr

Not so many guided tours close to San Juan.

One of the links under "Resources for Visitors" is to: PUERTO RICO MOUNTAIN BIKE TOURS
    I did contact him, but for me it was too expensive for me and my young son to ride -- you may feel otherwise.

Go make a difference
    Was just there. Check out Toro Verde Adventure Park. I think you'll be pleased.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker View Post
    Was just there. Check out Toro Verde Adventure Park. I think you'll be pleased.
    So the trails are still there at Toro? I tried calling but no one answered. Could not find any new information on those trails and there is no information on them on their website. Going there next week and actually taking my bike (Thanks AirTran $50 each way). Can you tell me the cost to get into the park? Also did you ride anywhere else?

One other question. Are these trails easy, intermediate, or expert? I'm looking for intermediate and expert.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Another bump for this thread. I am going to PR next week for a wedding and am considering taking my riding gear. Is there anywhere I can rent a bike?

For the locals in PR - is anyone free late next week on Thursday or Friday to show me around a trail? I am staying in San Juan at the Marriott on Ashford Ave.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ilan View Post
    Another bump for this thread. I am going to PR next week for a wedding and am considering taking my riding gear. Is there anywhere I can rent a bike?

For the locals in PR - is anyone free late next week on Thursday or Friday to show me around a trail? I am staying in San Juan at the Marriott on Ashford Ave.
    No where to rent a good bike. take your own on air tran or southwest $75 each way. well worth it.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ilan View Post

Ended up buying a bike from this store and brought it back with me to the main land, they also rent bikes:

ABOUT US

RIDING WITH ISLA FIJA BIKE CLUB - YouTube
    TRIP TO PUERTO RICO - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh yeah, take a Dahon folding bike on a trail. As I stated before, and I was just there in February, there is no place to rent a GOOD bike. Southwest and AirTran charge $75 each way. Well worth it. There are some places west of San Juan can't remember the place there is a federal prison on the grounds. Poorly marked, but definitely some good riding. I would have loved to ride there with someone that knew the place.

mtbr member
    Rincon has some good riding by Domes Beach but like everyone is saying bring your own bike. I rented a total POS from a local shop. The fork had no rebound adjustment. It was just full rebound...made for a short & scary day.