I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011

Planning a Trip - Texas to Idaho, and all in between...

At the end of April I have two weeks of vacation to burn, and I need some trails to ride on the way to the inlaws. I am bringing the wife and kids along, so I kinda/sorta need family friendly (although... they actually do pretty good on the trails). I will go from Texas west through Amarillo, then to Albuquerque, NM (where I will take a right, unlike Bugs Bunny). From there I will nip Colorado on my way to Salt Lake City, UT, north to Butte, then stopping at Coeur d'Alene to visit the inlaws. On the way back, I will go through Billings, MT then south through Wyoming to Denver, CO. We will then continue south to Amarillo, and back home.

The only two for sure places I know we will hit are 1) Hiawatha bike path in Coeur d'Alene and 2) Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. Yellowstone is a possibility on the way back. I would love everyone's input on what we should see as a family that would be fun/recreational/great scenery. While I absolutely love to ride technical stuff and I want to hit Moab, I still have to keep my family in mind...

For reference, I am on a Rumblefish, the wife is on a Trek Fuel EX5, my son has a Scott Scale JR 20", and my daughter has a Specialized Hotrock 24". We all have Camelbak's and sunscreen. We can normally do about 5-8 miles as a family, 10 miles max. Anything that would be in that range, let me know.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Here is what I have so far:
    - Elena Gallegos in Albuquerque, NM
    - Hippie House Loop in Cortez, CO
    - Big Chief Loop in Moab
    - Corner Canyon in Salt Lake City
    - Hiawatha in Coeur d'Alene
    - Mosquito Ridge in Yellowstone (and the obligatory tour of Yellowstone)
    - Denver... not sure... suggestions? Estes Park?
    - Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs
    - ?? Others??

Taking any and all suggestions...

SS in CO
    ok, so the start of your trip is the exact trip my wife and I took last summer...Fort Worth to amarillo, to Sante Fe to Moab to Fruita to Durango and back. let me tell you, there's TONS of good riding to be had.

if you want to stop in Amarillo, you should check out the Palo Duro Canyon in the national park. amazingly beautiful canyon with some awesome riding.

Albuquerque/Sante Fe has lots of trails. I suggest hitting up a local bike shop and asking for their expertise. that's what we did...

Moab has way lots of other good trails. we did the slickrock trail, but there's a good easier trail just north of town. talk to the guys at one of the shops, they'll know what it's called.

just outside of Salt Lake is Park City. again, too many trails to ride in one week. we hit up the Mid-Mountain trail and another trail called Round Valley. both great trails.

as for Denver, I'd just ask at a shop. someone will know...I've only ridden Fruita and Durrango as far as CO goes. but it sounds like your trip will be awesome!

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I saw "intermediate" and "26 miles" on the Palo Dura on Singletracks.com, but I looked again and saw that there were some easier rides. I will definitely be stopping there.

And thanks for the tip on the local bike shops... we did that in Fort Smith, AK at Bicycles Etc. The owner practically begged us to go to the Womble and ride; it was the best honeymoon trail ever. (Yeah, she's cool like that.)

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Quick update:

Did Palo Duro Canyon (Pres. George Bush did it a day or two after I was there), then hit the Elena Gallegos in Albuquerque. From there, we took a wrong turn and ended up in Durango, CO... which is THE most awesomely bike friendly place EVER! My daughters bike went on the fritz, so I put it on consignment in one of the shops there and picked up a Gary Fisher Precaliber for her off Craigslist about 1/2 mile from our hotel. Did a quick stop in Mesa Verda, then went to Moab (we almost died... too frightening to talk about it). From there, we went to Draper and hit a couple of the trails there, which were very sweet/fun. Then headed straight to Coeur D'Alene.

While in Coeur D'Alene, we did Farragut State Park (and got a re-tweet from Gary Fisher HIMSELF on a pic I took on the trail... very cool). Pretty much everything else was closed due to the snow. We headed to Butte, MT and hit the Beaver trail (kind-of an advanced trail... we had to turn back), then spent the night in West Yellowstone. We got in early enough to see Old Faithful, but ended up getting snowed out... so we went to the Tetons. Got to ride downtown Jackson Hole and around Lake Jenny and actually saw a grizzly bear with 2 cubs. Headed just outside Laramie to the Happy Jack trail/park (which also got closed on us due to Pine Beetle fumigation... scary to ride around a deserted park and suddenly come up on people in hazmat suits!! yikes!)

Stopped at Fort Collins at the Ridekick headquarters and picked up a new electric trailer. I am the first person in the WORLD to have a Ridekick on a 29er. (Believe me, they checked. Mike had to custom fit it to my bike.) I am currently in Denver, which is the 2nd most bike friendly place I have been... Durango being the first... We are going to ride around Golden on Sunday, then towards the end of the week we will hit Garden of the Gods and then the Wah-Chi-Tah trail in Wichita, TX before we finally head home.