mtbr member

Planning phase: nation-wide bike trip.

Hi all!

ABOUT ME: I started biking 4 years ago. I just started college, also a lawn business 3 years ago.

My goal is, and is so far working, to grow my business in size every year. My plan is at the end of college to either sell the business, or take a temporary leave while my employees run it, take some money, and take an epic trip.

It will be awesome because Ill be just out of college, have money, and not be tied to to a wife or home or even job.

At this point, Im only just starting to think about it, and it all obviously depends on the growth off the business and how self-sustaining I can make it in this short of a time.

DETAILS:
    I just wanted to get my idea out there and get some feedback. Heres all I know so far.... As far as flying or driving, I don't know. I do know that I would bring my remedy and probably buy a DH bike for shuttles. I dont have any where I live so I will truly enjoy that.

I do plan on going to moab, cali, co, bc, and new england for sure.
    Thats about it. I really want someone to go with, but so far I do not know of anyone. Maybe I would just meet up with people from online when I arrive at each destination.

I guess Im just getting this off my chest and am open to ideas. How many of you have done something similar? What sort of major advice? No details, it's still way to far off for that!

I've been thinking about it fleetingly for a year, but have only just now seriously considered it due to the growth of the business, which would give me the financial ability.
    Im excited. Any feedback? Advice?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Josh,

Sounds like a cool plan!@! Last year we took a month off to visit friends, family and ride various trails in 6 states. We didnt stay at any location for more than a few days. I thought wed get sick of traveling and camping but when we got home, it seemed like we had just left and could have kept going. What we did certainly wasnt a long a trip, but wed do it again in a flash. Oh and weve ridden Fruita and other trials near Denver CO. Plus up in WY and many other locations. Some trials west near you at St Charles, gee I can't recall there name but it was in old sand stone mine maybe Klondike? We have quite a few miles of fun trails near here including some downhill and flow types. Like these. www.copperharbortrails.org If you do get up in our neck-of-the-woods, we could suggest systems that are fun and within a easy drive from each other. This is across Minnesota, northern Wisconsin and here in the upper peninsula of Michigan. This is why wed drive and could hit a bunch of different locations. Then stay if its super nice or move on to the next if not.

Feel free to stay with us in Houghton MI if you like. There are 3 trail systems quite close to here. Gromit LOVES company!
    Last edited by arly; 05-15-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ah youve got to check our northern michigan

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My advice is simply to do it and don't let anything stop you. Eight years after graduating I wish I took the boatload of cash I got at graduation and did something memorable. Instead I paid my loans down and spent a lot of money in bars. You'll have your entire life to work and marry and have kids (which are great) but there is no time as free and promising as those first days after graduation. I would recommend researching the spots you absolutely want to go to and fill in the blanks with local riding spots along the way. Obviously you can drive the US and Canada pretty well as long as you don't mind all the hours in the car. If your business really does well you should consider heading to a different country. There are multiple reputable companies (REI) that run destination trips for mtb'ers. You'd definitely do well to find somebody to go along for the trip if for no other reason than there's bound to be a time you're riding alone in a place you're unfamiliar with. Since you're still a few years out you should see if any of your friends who don't ride have an interest in trying it or get to know your local mtb community and throw the idea out there. You never know who might have the same idea.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the input guys, especially sjkevin. Going global never crossed my mind. That may or may not be possible, but its something to think about.