mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Pisgah: Squirrel Gap & Black Mountain?

I am trying to find a good loop to ride in the Pisgah on my upcoming MTB vacation. All the information I keep coming across points toward Squirrel Gap, Turkey Gap, & Black Mountain.

I am definitely interested in a loop that hits squirrel gap & "the black mountain downhill" I keep hearing about. I found this loop on TrimbleOutdoors. Is this what I am looking for? Will it hit the infamous Black mountain Downhill? Any other advice?

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/292970

Thanks for your help.
    ~MK

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    I am trying to find a good loop to ride in the Pisgah on my upcoming MTB vacation. All the information I keep coming across points toward Squirrel Gap, Turkey Gap, & Black Mountain.

I am definitely interested in a loop that hits squirrel gap & "the black mountain downhill" I keep hearing about. I found this loop on TrimbleOutdoors. Is this what I am looking for? Will it hit the infamous Black mountain Downhill? Any other advice?

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/292970

Thanks for your help.
    ~MK
    The left on Turkey pen going back to the parking lot cuts out all of the Black Mtn downhill.
    Try
    this site.

I don't know your background but when these rides say epic death march take it too heart.

Just saw your other post... there are two bike shops in Brevard
    one here
    and
    the other
    go in either one and they can sell you a map ( Pisgah Ranger District 780)
    and suggest some routes. This area of Pisgah is marked pretty well, but pisgah miles are like dog years.....1 pisgah mile = 7 regular mtn. bike miles
    The Black mtn downhill is a blast.
    Last edited by motobutane; 07-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane View Post
    The left on Turkey pen going back to the parking lot cuts out all of the Black Mtn downhill.
    Try
    this site.

I don't know your background but when these rides say epic death march take it too heart.

Just saw your other post... there are two bike shops in Brevard
    one here
    and
    the other
    go in either one and they can sell you a map ( Pisgah Ranger District 780)
    and suggest some routes. This area of Pisgah is marked pretty well, but pisgah miles are like dog years.....1 pisgah mile = 7 regular mtn. bike miles
    The Black mtn downhill is a blast.
    Thanks for the post! I was a little leery about the loop I found. My buddy and I consider ourselves pretty skilled... just worried about being worn out towards the end of our riding week. Would you recommend the Blk Mountain loop you provided over some other type of loop that included squirrel gap or other trails?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    Thanks for the post! I was a little leery about the loop I found. My buddy and I consider ourselves pretty skilled... just worried about being worn out towards the end of our riding week. Would you recommend the Blk Mountain loop you provided over some other type of loop that included squirrel gap or other trails?
    OK, Turkey Pen trail SUCKS so avoid it at all cost-seriously.
    Squirrel gap is one of the best and my favorite, ride it in either direction.
    Parking at Turkey Pen trail head and riding a Mullinax -squirrel- horse cove- cantrell creek-S. Mills river loop is a blast. I may have left out a couple of connector trails in that description

Farlow is epic.

Black Mtn trail ridden as a whole is quiet a ride, with some hike-a-bike. There are several good loops on the PAS site that I sent you a link too, and all are spot on mileage and difficulty.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You're gonna love it!

ready to ride
    I rode squirrel gap for the first time today. Seriously take realistic stock in your capabilities. I consider myself an above average rider and can handle most of what gets thrown at me. I am pretty good with technical riding, or at least I though I was until today. I went with a friend who rides about 20 miles a day too and from work. I got my arse handed to me today, and my friend said he bit off more than he could chew. Admittedly we rode a pretty good long ride before taking on squirrel, mistake #1. Mistake #2 was starting at 476? the top of the S mills river, thinking we would ride to mulinax and then take the s mouth river trail back.

A blessing in disguise we decided to bail and go down cantrel. Trail gets tight. I took a bad line and went airborne down an embankment, until a hit a fallen tree which was probably a good thing, otherwise I had about another 20 feet down before I would have met the earth. Luck fully just had the wind knocked out of me, and bruised a rib, and my right hand. Not a few hundred yards, I did and endo over some nasty rocks, I came out fine but bent the hell out of my rear brakes. Ended up having to take the disc off. It wasn't until we hit the S Mills trail the real nightmare began, fatigue was setting in, water was low, and the trail, if that is what you want to call it was the most bike unfriendly stretch I have ever been on.

Long story short, too late. You damned well better bring your A game for Squirrel, pick your path right, carry a water purifier, and be prepared for some punishment, both on you and your bike.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I rode squirrel gap for the first time today. Seriously take realistic stock in your capabilities. I consider myself an above average rider and can handle most of what gets thrown at me. I am pretty good with technical riding, or at least I though I was until today. I went with a friend who rides about 20 miles a day too and from work. I got my arse handed to me today, and my friend said he bit off more than he could chew. Admittedly we rode a pretty good long ride before taking on squirrel, mistake #1. Mistake #2 was starting at 476? the top of the S mills river, thinking we would ride to mulinax and then take the s mouth river trail back.

A blessing in disguise we decided to bail and go down cantrel. Trail gets tight. I took a bad line and went airborne down an embankment, until a hit a fallen tree which was probably a good thing, otherwise I had about another 20 feet down before I would have met the earth. Luck fully just had the wind knocked out of me, and bruised a rib, and my right hand. Not a few hundred yards, I did and endo over some nasty rocks, I came out fine but bent the hell out of my rear brakes. Ended up having to take the disc off. It wasn't until we hit the S Mills trail the real nightmare began, fatigue was setting in, water was low, and the trail, if that is what you want to call it was the most bike unfriendly stretch I have ever been on.

Long story short, too late. You damned well better bring your A game for Squirrel, pick your path right, carry a water purifier, and be prepared for some punishment, both on you and your bike.
    MMMMMM S.Mills river trail = 12 river crossings and all the slick rocks you want.
    This is good stuff I have had several people ask why a 20 mile ride is labeled as an Epic death march in this district of Pisgah Nat. Forest.......now you know!
    A
    local race
    that I have ridden a few times, just 70+ miles and 10 - 12 hours in the woods just bring your ridgid singlespeed look at the required gear list, just one of the easiest races this promoter puts on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post

Wow! Yall just keep getting me more and more concerned! HaHa! I am beginning to look into smaller loops in the Squirrel Gap area. Especially since it it on our last day of riding.... which may be good (injuries will NOT = canceled trip) I also picked up some water tablets yesterday.

Thanks for all the help yall have been giving me!

~MK