mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Outerbike 2011 in Moab

Anyone attend Outerbike last year in Moab? I hope to go this year. Am wondering how to do it and volunteer at the 24-hour race in Moab. The dates overlap.

I will probably camp at the 24-hour race site before/during that event. Would appreciate any advice from those who have gone.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Had a great time in 2011 Outerbike.
    Very well worth the trip.
    Rode 11 different bikes in 4 days on the amazing trails out there.
    Ended up finding my 2 wheel soulmate there (Santa Cruz Tallboy).
    Not going this year due to conflicting obligations.
    They did change the format for this year though, 1st two days guided rides, second three days demos, or something like that. Don't know how it will positively or negatively affect the event and/or your scheduling dilemma. Western Spirit is a very professional org. though and it should be great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sounds like a great deal. Was there camping at the .Outerbike site? I know there is at the 24 hour race site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    While the vendors may have stayed in campers at the site to keep an eye on their demo fleets, I don't think there is camping at the actual Outerbike site. Which is not such a bad thing since the site is in a dusty parking lot out in the desert. There's plenty of campsites in Moab proper, probably much more scenic, cool (temperature-wise), and close to town (and the river!). They run shuttles out to the site, or if you have a bike, do the long climb on the bike path out there. The people at Western Spirit Tours , who run Outerbike are very helpful, shoot them an email and I'm sure they would help you with specifics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We stayed at the KOA campground just south of town. The hotels in town can get pricey.

Outerbike was well worth it. Going again this year and staying at the same K*O*A*

(damn dilsexia, lol).
    Last edited by matt sterbator; 08-12-2011 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I went last year and stayed at the Motel 6 on the north side of Moab. If you are in the market for a bike I highly recommend it. However, you won't be able to compare as many bikes if you go on the all day exertion rides. Either way its a great event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Went to Outerbike 2011 this year. I camped in Archview Campground about 2 miles north of the site. There were some folks camping in the Outerbike parking lot, but it was dirty, busy and dusty. But, the camping in the parking lot was free. A hotel in Moab for a Friday night was $150+. Camping was $23 a night with hot showers.

You have to get there early to get a bike. Otherwise, you are walking around waiting for bikes to return that never come back until the end of the day.

They only had one Santa Cruz Tallboy size L. That bike went first. I took one of the XL's and had it all morning.

jfigel.