Riding dirt since 1970

NW/Whistler Road Trip-From Houston

Hey Guys,
    I'm driving from Houston to Whistler, BC in a couple of weeks for some downhilling, and I'd like some suggestions on what you feel are some must drives, and maybe some must ride MTB trails along the way. I've just started researching possibilities. In the past, I've ridden quite a bit in the 4 corners region (UT, CO, MN, AZ), so this trip I'll focus my excursions on locations further NW. My MTB Travels in the past have always been better when I've met up with locals, so of course I'm looking for opportunities there. Coming from sea level, and not having the time/opportunity to ride as much as I'd like, I'm a bit vertically challenged. This is typical for me, but somehow I manage do OK. The drive will be over 5K miles round trip, and I'll have more flexibility on the return trip. I'll be stopping by Fanatik Bike in Bellingham, WA, so that might be a good area for one ride. I know MTBR is a great resource for trail info, and I have ordered a "Best Drives" book, but some of the best spots aren't always on the beaten path . This is the 1st suggested route, but there are several which vary in widely in route, but have similar times/distance:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...mra=ls&t=m&z=5
    Med. Nomad C for sale

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Ask in the downhill/FR forum and look for a recent thread with this very same almost identical question
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't know how much time you have, but if you wanted to get some good downhill in and have a beautiful drive, you should head out to Port Angeles. There are some really good downhill riding there. When you are done you take the Ferry to Vancouver Island, and then take a ferry to the Canada main land. Port Angeles is the site of a pro downhill. Plus, the drive is simply amazing.

Riding dirt since 1970

Not Welcome In Canada

Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    I don't know how much time you have, but if you wanted to get some good downhill in and have a beautiful drive, you should head out to Port Angeles. There are some really good downhill riding there. When you are done you take the Ferry to Vancouver Island, and then take a ferry to the Canada main land. Port Angeles is the site of a pro downhill. Plus, the drive is simply amazing.
    Sounds awesome, but I was refused entry into Canada due to an old misdemeanor DUI charge on my record. Come to find out, this happens to lots of people trying to enter Canada. After I was searched, my car tossed, and grilled about minor charges going back 30 years, I was informed that I would have to apply for "criminal rehabilitation" (months I'm told" before I could return. I was polite and professional through the entire humiliating process. If you plan on going up there, you may want to have a plan B if you have any old arrests on your record. Be prepared for a battery of questions intending to trip you up and flare your temper. The worst part was having to break the news to my Wife, who was flying up today.
    Spent yesterday planning a new trip, and the Wife flys into Portland, OR today. We're heading to the Hood River area and check out Post Canyon, most of which I'm told is reopened since the big ice storm. We plan to ride in the NW Oregon area through 7/11, including Black Rock and Bend. We try to make lemonade when handed lemons, and try not to sweat stuff we can't change. We're looking forward to some awesome Oregon riding. After the Wife flys back, I'll head south toward Ashland, and may hit North Star & whatever Norcal areas time allows. Fanatik Bike in Bellingham has been a huge help with this whole trip, and is a great shop to buy from. Happy Independance Day!
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am planning a trip with my family to the same location next year: wife and two daughters. We will MTB multiple days, hike, raft, etc. Here is the big question, and I appologize for the hijacking here....should I carry a gun for protection? I am licensed by permit to carry a concealed weapon but would rather not have to do that. Any advice? I take safety with my family very seriously so I hope this does not sound to brash.

David

Riding dirt since 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-man View Post
    I am planning a trip with my family to the same location next year: wife and two daughters. We will MTB multiple days, hike, raft, etc. Here is the big question, and I apologize for the hijacking here....should I carry a gun for protection? I am licensed by permit to carry a concealed weapon but would rather not have to do that. Any advice? I take safety with my family very seriously so I hope this does not sound to brash.

David
    No need for apology, David. I'm a bit of a "sheepdog" myself, so we think alike. I also have a CC permit and take responsibility for safety. As far as Canada goes, do not attempt to bring any firearms or ammunition into the country without the proper paperwork. They refused me entry due to a 25 year old misdemeanor DUI I got in college, after searching me and my car. They asked a lot of rude and provocative questions, to which I replied in a courteous and professional manner. Come to find out, this happens to people quite often. Do a search for "Canada border problem" and you'll find more cases. I did know they define "weapons" very loosely, so don't bring any pepper spray or a concealed pocket knife. I returned to WA and planned a new trip. Had the Wife fly into Portland, and we road the Hood River and Bend, OR areas, after which I did several days of DH @ Northstar on Lake Tahoe. We also did some horseback riding and WW rafting in the Bend area, and the Cascade Mtns are gorgeous. Might want to leave your CCW @ home, too, as they seemed very concerned about mine and asked ~ a dozen questions like "how many guns do you own?" and the like. My brother in law got his filet knife confiscated years ago when he crossed, and the may also ask to copy your credit cards, provide proof of employment and travel medical insurance. I won't be going back, but if you do, you might want to have a plan "B".
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Lifer,

Thanks for the sound advice...I should have given this more thought as I have heard the border has been a nightmare since 9-11. It is too bad that we have to even consider such issues but it is reality.

Thanks again.

David