meh?

Northeast Vacations

I'm looking for some vacations on the East Coast. I've found some really awesome rides in the west, but I can't find anything similar out here in the East. I don't have a big budget for this sort of thing, so I'm trying to find something closer. I live in NJ, so PA/NY/CT/WV/NC/VT are all within reasonable driving distance. I figure there are two choices:

1. I could find a guided tour our in the east. There are plenty of companies that do this in Moab and around Mt.Hood and all over the place out west, but I have not found an eastern equivalent. This means they take care of the route as well as the logistics, so I don't have to haul all the food and shelter and extra clothes. This seems whiny, I know.

2. The other option would be to do a really well planned trip, unguided. Obviously this would save a lot of money too, so it's a very attractive option. The problem is that I can't really find enough resources to plan this thoroughly. Specifically, there's a lack of detailed trail maps. Plus, if I wanted to camp I'd have to go buy panniers, which is less fun. I'm looking for singletrack, not rails-to-trails.

I'm just wondering if anyone's found any coordinated trips out here in the northeast. I've heard of vacations to Pigsah, NC and similar places. I'm just confused how they were done. Any help would be useful! Thanks!

Ducks for Moose
    Check out this outfit in NE VT. The Kingdom Trails is Vermont's destination MTB location.

Ideride Mountain Bike Vacation Packages, Instruction, Skills Clinics, Guiding and Lodging for Kingdom Trails in Burke Vermont VT

mtbr member
    Another option is backcountry excursions in ME.

Maine Mountain Bike Tours Vacations, Back Country Excursions, Mountain Bike Adventures

I don't know if you're gonna find any multiple day point to point rides like out west. You can probably spend 3 days riding kingdom trails, unless you're a monster who puts in 50 miles a day.

You mention panniers, are you not driving? If you're driving it should be easy enough to do a tour of various riding spots. There are several with pretty good maps and signage.

Maybe look into central PA, I know there are a lot of trails out there, but I have no experience there.

Desert Seeker
    You can ride Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT without a guide - very user-friendly map. You could spend two days there. Nearby, Millstone (in Barre), Stowe and Waterbury offer great riding. You could probably hook up with a free "guide" or group by posting on the Vermont forum. Millstone has a confusing map but can be ridden just by following the red arrowed-loop. Easy to stay in a comfortable motel for all of these options and skip the camping.

meh?
    Hey, these are really helpful! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Depending on the route you take to get to Kingdom Trails (which you must visit), you could stop in at Bear Brook State Park for a day on your way there or way back. It is the Southern New Hampshire preferred destination for mountain biking. There is easily 4-6 hours of riding at Bear Brook, maybe more. It's not going to be 100% single track but most of the double track is narrow overgrown logging roads that will still keep you smiling. There are enough local riders that you could easily get a tour guide to meet you and show you around. If not, the maps are pretty good.

This one is catered toward mountain bikers:
    http://www.northeastcycling.com/Bear_Brook_Map.pdf
    This one is the official map:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/...p_2011-web.pdf
    This has descriptions of the trails:
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/...TrailGuide.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm planning a trip to Raystown Lake in PA in a few weeks. I've heard nothing but good things about the trails out there.