mtbr member
    May 2017

New Zealand MTB holiday ideas?

Hi Guys,

The wife and I are wanting to plan a MTB holiday to New Zealand and are looking for ideas, advice and experiences people have had. Best times of year to travel to avoid the rain and pleasant riding weather. Which island to choose.... Our riding style is XC to all mountain - bikes are only 120-140mm travel....Skill level is intermediate. Can you hire quality full suspension bikes or best to take ours? Thinking about hiring a motorhome and travelling around. Probably looking at 3 weeks over there and riding 80 percent of the time. Thanks in advance

Cheers Greg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    In addition to queenstown and rotorua which im sure you will be aware of, i would say some of places to check out for longer trail/all mountain riding are Craigieburn -about 1hr inland from Christchurch, and the greater nelson area. The old ghost road is a pretty new multiday hut supported backcountry trip, I havnt done it yet, but it looks absolutely incredible. Trailforks has most riding area pretty well mapped out.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    best time of year to ride here is generally march-early april, everything is nice and dry and the hottest part of summer has passed

mtbr member
    If you are riding a lot, take your own bikes. Air New Zealand doesn't charge extra for bike boxes/bags, just by weight.

We went for just over two weeks at the end of march. We had some rain (mostly because of the typhoon that came through when we were there), but we also had some great weather. We rode Waitango, Rotorua Whaka Forest, Rainbow MTN, Waikato River, Great Lake Trail, Hamilton, Rameka/Canaan Downs, Dun Mountain, Wanaka Sticky Forest, Queenstown Four Lakes Loop, and Rude Rock/Coronet.

We had a great time. If I had the time and money, I would spend at least 2 weeks on the north island and 2 weeks on the south (at least 2 days in Rotorua). We rented a campervan and it worked out great.

Have a great time.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks guys much appreciated feedback.