mtbr member
    May 2012

New England area vacation - trail/destination suggestions?

The wife and I are considering a vacation in the New England area later this year (possibly August or September). One possible stay is in Portland, Maine. Trying to get ideas for "beginner-friendly" level trails in and around that area where we could rent bikes and pedal around a bit.

I'm a Midwest (Kansas City) area intermediate level rider, but she's a roadie so doesn't like dealing with too much gnar.

I would LOVE to go to the Kingdom trails, but not sure about other tourism ideas for that particular area so don't know if she'd want to go there.

Any recommendations for trails and/or tourism destinations in the New England area that time of year? We're flying out and would definitely have to rent bikes.

mtbr member
    I don't ride in Portland much but 2 hours away is Carrabassett Valley, which is awesome. Yes, it's riding at a ski resort (Sugarloaf), but the trails are NOT on the mountain. I have 2 daughters under 10 and we ride there quite a bit. Plenty of fun flowy trails along the river with plenty of spots to stop and cool off. There is a small shop at the Outdoor Center that has some hardtails you can rent. There is something to ride for every ability there so don't worry about too much gnar or being too mellow.

There are a few different spots with a half hour of Portland to ride. I'm sure you'll be heading to Freeport at some point. Check out Bradbury state park. It's about 15 minutes from the village center of Freeport and there is some great riding there too.

Other than that, head in to Allspeed in Portland. They have some SC demo's to rent and will know the best areas to hit within Portland. But if you can make it to Carrabassett, definitely go. You'll love it.

https://www.allspeed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Do Kingdom Trails...add day trips to Burlington and Montreal and maybe a couple afternoons at lake Willoughby....September can be amazing in the NEK!

turtles make me hot
    Bradbury Mountain State Park in Maine is lots of fun. Great trails.

Make sure to grab lunch at Lucy and Edna's right on the corner. Awesome food.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    North Conway, New Hampshire is another destination to consider for a New England vacation. In the heart of the white mountains. Lots of epic road riding for your roadie wife (with climbs like she'll never experience in the Midwest). Great hikes, beautiful mountain views, tax-free outlet shopping, lots of quaint tourist shops and bed and breakfasts. Lots to do not on the bike. And of course, great mountain biking (with climbs like you'll never experience in the Midwest, but also descents!). For beginnerish-friendly trails in the area, the East Side Trails start right from town, have good flow (for New England), are pretty well mapped/signed, and run through an abandoned quarry, so there's lots of cool stuff to see/explore. North Conway's East Side Trails | NEMBA

Portland is a little more "city" than "quintessential New England" (though it is a quintessential New England city).. If you want to be on the coast, try Rockport, MA Portsmouth, NH or Bar Harbor, ME. All of those will have mountain biking within a half hour drive or so, but nothing epic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Just to clarify, Kingdom Trails have absolutely NO gnar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Just to clarify, Kingdom Trails have absolutely NO gnar.
    There's a little gnar on the mountain side (thinking the likes of dead moose alley) and more available if you ride the lift service at Burke.
    Last edited by zeeede; 1 Week Ago at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Camden Maine trails are lovely and mostly intermediate. If you're happy to spin uphill, they are beginner friendly from a technical standpoint and are certainly quintessentially NE, as is the surrounding area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk