Cyclingczech
    Feb 2011

Need Help on Zion & Yosemite Vacation

Hey All,
    This is my first time to post to this forum. My wife and I are Newbies to MTB but are experienced Road Riders.
    We want to experience the Zion and the Yosemite areas on top of our Mountain Bikes. We bought each other Trek/Gary Fishers 29er hard tails this year and have been enjoying the trails in the Oklahoma City area.
    I have been working my way up to the advance trails here but the wife is a little more timid. She would prefer a double track or fire break roads.
    We would like, for our first time out, use a Tour Company. The plan is to take 2 weeks in September, a week around Zion and a week around Yosemite. We will be driving and taking both the road and MTB bikes.
    Any information or recommendations on anything will be useful and helpful.
    See ya all on the trail
    Kim & Deb

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There's some great mtb & road riding around Zion. If you're looking for a tour company, I would contact STTGUY on the forums. He's gonna be offering day tours around the area, & both he & his wife ride. They also rent out a loft above their garage, if you're looking for a place to stay. Have a fun trip. September's a great time to visit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi, Kim & Deb,

Cycling in Yosemite is a bit of a quagmire. It's not a destination for MTB by any stretch; bikes are not allowed off pavement/bike paths almost everywhere in the Park. That said, Foresta Road (a fire road) runs from the town of Foresta (in the Park) to the town of El Portal (outside the West entrance) and is all downhill and passes a few water crossings. It's a worthy 20-something mile run.

The driving through the Park is wonderful, but the roads are mostly quite narrow, with no/little pavement outside the stripe and frequently with no shoulder. Cyclists are a somewhat uncommon sight on the roads, and IMO with good reason.

I don't mean to be a downer. I've been a frequent visitor to Yos for decades and love to MTB. You would be better off around Mammoth Lakes to the East, IMO; there is a guide book for MTB rides in that area. September can be quite hot in Yosemite Valley (highs in the 90s), so staying in the Park's high country is preferred by many (Tuolomne Meadows, etc). I'd be more psyched to hike some incredible trails in Yo; many are short, user friendly, and get you to inspiring lookouts near or on airy rock formations, cliffs and (possibly in Sept) waterfalls.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Zion area has world class riding in Gooseberry Mesa and easier Little Creek Mountain. You may love the JEM Trail, just below Gooseberry. Even closer to Zion is Guacamole and a whole slew more in the St George area, all around the town.
    Yosemite I don't know as well but you are close to many trails at Tahoe, the ultra fun Downieville Downhill and other shuttled descents. Auburn and Davis are MTB trail centers in that part of CA, with trails all over the area. Several hot springs in the area, too. Long Valley Caldera is a mega volcano, like Yellowstone.
    Being roadies you may love the Rainbow Rim Trail along the north Rim of the Grand Canyon, not a tech trail but awesome canyon views from numerous spots.
    Soooo many great trails thruout the west.
    agmtb