mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Need help planning a MTB trip through Appalachians

Hi all,

My brother and I are going to a conference in Washington, DC this coming August. We are traveling from Iowa to Washington, DC and are planning on renting a van for the trip (we can lock our bikes up inside).

We have been looking at mountain bike trails near DC and on the way (ish) back from DC to Iowa. We plan to drive out and attend the conference, then work our way back, riding bike trails on the way. I have been looking at singletracks.com for trails especially in the Appalachians. West Virginia looks like it has some cool trails (i.e. North Fork Mountain Trail). We were thinking it would be nice to camp a night or two as well.

We like technical trails with 2-4 foot drops, rocky climbs/descents, roots, etc. We are not afraid of some cardio either!

What recommendations do you all have for mountain biking in the Appalachians, around WV? What about any recommendations for further west, like in southern Ohio? Any good campsites in these areas? Other recommendations for things I am missing? This is our first MTB road trip...

Thanks, in advance for any suggestions!!

Trail Prospector
    If it were me.... while in / near DC ask about traffic and check a few local trails - Rosaryville, Fountainhead, Patapsco.
    Then head west to Front Royal to explore GWNF (camping) off rt. 81 North Fork / Spruce Peak, Elizabeth Furnance.
    (If you still want more chunk Fredrick, MD has Gambrill SP, and the Watershed - ask an LBS)
    Drop south to Harrisonburg and stop to see the folks @ SBC (135 So. Main St.), buy natgeo map #791, and ask their advice.
    Ask about Stokesville, the SM100 course, hit the SMT (14 mi. of ridgeline singletrack), and get to Douthat SP.
    From there go west into WV to New River Gorge, and hit Fayetteville.

This should give you a healthy sample of mid-atlantic and Appalachian riding, and camping.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 03-10-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling of town
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Slatyfork west Virginia!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    (If you still want more chunk Fredricksburg, MD has Gambrill SP, and the Watershed - ask an LBS)
    Looks like you got carried away writing "Frederick, MD"
    Both those places are definitely worth a visit, would be on my list for the trip the OP described.

mtbr member
    Michaux State Forest in south central PA is great! Super techy, lots of rocks, roots ect.. PM if you make this way, I would be glad to show you around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thank you all for the great suggestions! It looks like we have some great mountain biking ahead of us. I hope I can get to Michaux state forest on the way out to DC, then hit up the other suggestions on the way back.

Hermit
    As for WV try Spruce Knob down to the Seneca Creek Trail (an IMBA Epic). But there are tons of trails around Slatyfork, or up around Davis too.

Here's a reference for Ohio trail locations:

http://goo.gl/maps/5u5Vf

And don't forget Brown County SP in Indiana.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/