mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Must Ride Trails in New Zealand

I will be taking a two week vacation to tour NZ starting a month from today. Wanted to know if anyone had any advice to what trails to ride. Would need to rent a bike nearby. Looking forward to hearing back.
    If you had a pet monkey that knew karate, what would you name it?

Mtb Guide
    Will you be travelling around both Islands, North & South!

So many great places!

Must do list,

- Rotorua, region Bay of Plenty, North Island!

- Queenstown, region Central Otago, South Island!

Consider these 2 places as the main MTB hubs to the best riding with pretty easy access, bike hire and guiding companies!

They're are many other great places in NZ but with limited time, I would recommend quality over quantity otherwise you will spend more time travelling driving than riding!

You will still see some epic country and more deeply in each of these two places if you base yourself around these locations.

Either place you could spend two weeks alone and have an epic time!

From they're I"d seek local advice if wanting to go further afield.

If you are keen on Rotorua look us up, links in my sig,
    or
    when you are in Queenstown, look up Jono @ Queenstown Bike Taxis he will be able to hook you up, bikes and best trails, don't fall into just riding the Gondala right in town, great riding but the best riding is around Queenstown and all over Central Otago.

Similarly Whakarewera 5min from town (Rotorua) while awesome and convenient is just the tip of what the Rotorua area has on offer, I can show you the best on offer in and around they're too, main trails what ever grade suits and some local only secret stuff.

Either way we can save you time and give you the best riding while here, otherwise any local bike shop will be helpful but you will miss allot.

What ever you do you wont regret it, fantastic riding at any level anywhere in NZ.

Hire bikes, quality and levels will vary greatly outside of these too regions as well and if you want a decent FS bike get in soon as on dates, as from now to end of summer hiring a decent bike can be a lottery, exception Queenstown but don't take that as definite, we are a small country we do not have the resources like the US or UK.

Cheers
    Mav