Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtn biking tours and guide services recommendations

I'm looking at doing a trip to the western US and am wondering if anybody could recommend a tour or guide service such as Western Spirit or Rim Tours. Any info on specific routes and tours you took would be great. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi River so I'm open to anything.

Go make a difference
    Since no one has responded, I'll just say, I typically don't run tours out west but I can. I have customers who've use Rim Tours and have told me that my services are on par with them. I'll help you out anyway I can, even if it's setting you up with someone local.

Good luck!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I did the Utah trip with Sacred Rides. Highly recommended, 10 out of 10.

Edit for route:

Gem, Bear Claw, Poppy in St George
    Thunder Mountain
    Hazzard in Moab
    Slick Rock in Moab
    Amassa Back/ Rockstacker/ Jacksons in Moab
    Some other epic rides that I can't remember the name of.

Each ride was the ride of a lifetime for someone who rides in New England.

powered by peanut butter.
    I had a great experience with Western Spirit. Did their North Rim of the Grand Canyon trip - awesome riding, great guides, stellar experience.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I did the Durango to Moab San Juan Hut to Hut trip with 7 others and had a blast(unguided). In Moab there are a bunch of guide and shuttle services, and we used Rim Tours as a shuttle back to Durango. Google "The Whole Enchilada" for Moab.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1529 View Post
    I'm looking at doing a trip to the western US and am wondering if anybody could recommend a tour or guide service such as Western Spirit or Rim Tours. Any info on specific routes and tours you took would be great. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi River so I'm open to anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Back Country Biker got high marks from Adventure Cycling Association:

Mountain Bike Trips :: Single track and adventure cycling at it's best :: hut to hut bike trips

Some of the options seem decadent, but the hut services sound fantastic. I haven't used them but definitely hope to.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I live in Utah and have ridden most of the best places in Colorado, Arizona, Idaho and Oregon, Montana, and California. You could do all these places without hiring a guide. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone to give you suggestions and how to do it. If interested private msg me or email me with your phone number.
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Anything with Western Spirit. They do it perfecto!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Perfect topic Im in the same boat looking for a Mountain Bike tour in the spring/summer somewhere in the western US. What about up in Oregon? I found a website for a tour company called cogwild tours, anyone done a tour up in the northwest? Moab/western CO is probably second on my list.

mtbr member
    Bend is a lot of fun but you sure don't need a guide there because there's so much info available. I've heard good things and bad things about Cogwild. I wouldn't hesitate to shuttle with them, not sure about a tour. Would check recent reviews. Unpredictable snow melt can limit trails open in late Spring and early Summer. Mosquitos can be gawdawful. It's very XC in character for the most part. Used to be nothing technical there, but it's coming along.

North Umpqua is popular but I haven't ridden it. Hood River area is high on my to-do list. Black Rock is fun for a day or two if you don't mind earning your turns and like steep downhill flow and especially features.

Lots and lots of goodness out of Ketchum if you wait out the snow. Same for Crested Butte and everybody should ride there at some point.

Can't beat the SW if it's still cool. TONS to choose from. Just depends on what you like and the weather.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mountain Bike Tour Company in New York City

I am starting up a company in the New York City area and if you decide to visit come check out my new company. I will be taking people up to the Catskills for day trips in the New Paltz region. If you are a more hard core mountain biker contact me and we can make other arrangements. biketoursny.com

mtbr member
    I had a discussion recently with a few other guide outfits and we all sort of agreed: we all do a great job! I'd recommend Rim Tours and Western Spirit highly....both great outfits.

Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermosa View Post
    I had a discussion recently with a few other guide outfits and we all sort of agreed: we all do a great job! I'd recommend Rim Tours and Western Spirit highly....both great outfits.

Matt
    One of the best aspects of a guide is not necessarily to show you where the trails are. The guide we had for the full seven days was a pro rider and my riding improved dramatically by taking her suggestions and watching what she did and the lines she rode. I rode stuff that I would never have had the confidence to do on my own. Each day we also had a 'local' guide who was very knowledgeable on local flora, fauna, history, anecdotes, bars, restaurants etc. That's really what made the difference.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So where did you end up selecting a your desination?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by morozka1 View Post
    I am starting up a company in the New York City area and if you decide to visit come check out my new company. I will be taking people up to the Catskills for day trips in the New Paltz region. If you are a more hard core mountain biker contact me and we can make other arrangements. biketoursny.com
    Shoot me an email and lets partner up on some trips. Check us out at www.atlantaoutfitters.com. Charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com.

Thanks!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any suggestions for a tour/guides specifically in Colorado? I'll be out in Denver the second to last week in August for a conference and want to extend my stay (into the last week of August). The catch is I will most likely be solo. I can travel up to 5-6 hrs away. Any ideas anyone? Thanks! =)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    These guys were written up in Adventure Cyclist for the hut tours they offer near Fruita. It looked very appealing and not exorbitantly priced. Not sure if August is "the time" to ride there. FWIW...

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by taranehneh View Post
    Any suggestions for a tour/guides specifically in Colorado? I'll be out in Denver the second to last week in August for a conference and want to extend my stay (into the last week of August). The catch is I will most likely be solo. I can travel up to 5-6 hrs away. Any ideas anyone? Thanks! =)
    Hermosa Tours has a fantastic selection and a very good reputation. Check em out.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by taranehneh View Post
    I used Hermosa Tours out of Durango last fall, but only for a shuttle. I rode Kennebec (fantastic 25 miles and about 6,500 feet of descending) with a group of 8, 3 locals and 4 guys from Boston, so even though I was solo, I wasn't really. You can do a guided trip, but part of the fun is the adventure of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If any of you are ever looking for a great BC trip out of Vancouver/Whistler, or to international destinations - check out Big Mountain Adventures (ridebig.com). We run top all-mountain, cross-country and downhill trips to 14 countries and are based in Whistler BC. We'd love to take you on a big adventure. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
    I did the Utah trip with Sacred Rides. Highly recommended, 10 out of 10.

Edit for route:

Gem, Bear Claw, Poppy in St George
    Thunder Mountain
    Hazzard in Moab
    Slick Rock in Moab
    Amassa Back/ Rockstacker/ Jacksons in Moab
    Some other epic rides that I can't remember the name of.

Each ride was the ride of a lifetime for someone who rides in New England.
    Hey, Woozle -
    Nice to hear you had such a great experience with Sacred Rides. I'm considering the Utah trip with them, and based on your experience, how well would you say the trip accommodated riders of varying abilities? I'm assuming there would be no beginners/slouchers on the trip or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if some folks wanted to go faster than others, etc. Did that ever pose a problem with the group?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by n2dawds View Post
    Hey, Woozle -
    Nice to hear you had such a great experience with Sacred Rides. I'm considering the Utah trip with them, and based on your experience, how well would you say the trip accommodated riders of varying abilities? I'm assuming there would be no beginners/slouchers on the trip or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if some folks wanted to go faster than others, etc. Did that ever pose a problem with the group?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
    There were 7 of us plus guide, mixed group. Two were heros, three in the middle range (me) and two slower. We checked up quite a bit however never for very long. Also the scenery was amazing so lots of picture taking, etc. Skills were not much of an issue. The guide would always regroup prior to a direction change or uber tech section to point out the line or ride around. The good riders would show off and the not so good would walk around. I would say the biggest issue would be fitness. No one minded waiting for someone who was a little slower or walking a tricky section but it would be frustrating to be constantly waiting for someone just pedaling along. Our group was pretty fit so not an issue. The biggest holdup was flats. On Porcupine there were these nasty thorns and one person could get two or three flats while another would have none at all. On the last day we did Porcupine again from Hazard (more elevation) and the group voted for no wait. I was able to stay with the lead group however we waited over an hour at the bottom for the group in back. No on cared however (cold beer).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the insight! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and go for it...sounds like an amazing time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I highly recommend Mountain Biking Moab by Lee Bridgers. Lots of great reading on Moab history, mountain biking, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast