Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

mtn biking tours and guide services recommendations

8K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Cog Wild 
#1 ·
I'm looking at doing a trip to the western US and am wondering if anybody could recommend a tour or guide service such as Western Spirit or Rim Tours. Any info on specific routes and tours you took would be great. I've never ridden west of the Mississippi River so I'm open to anything.

#2 ·
Since no one has responded, I'll just say, I typically don't run tours out west but I can. I have customers who've use Rim Tours and have told me that my services are on par with them. I'll help you out anyway I can, even if it's setting you up with someone local.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I did the Utah trip with Sacred Rides. Highly recommended, 10 out of 10.

Edit for route:

Gem, Bear Claw, Poppy in St George
Thunder Mountain
Hazzard in Moab
Slick Rock in Moab
Amassa Back/ Rockstacker/ Jacksons in Moab
Some other epic rides that I can't remember the name of.

Each ride was the ride of a lifetime for someone who rides in New England.

#22 ·
Hey, Woozle -
Nice to hear you had such a great experience with Sacred Rides. I'm considering the Utah trip with them, and based on your experience, how well would you say the trip accommodated riders of varying abilities? I'm assuming there would be no beginners/slouchers on the trip or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if some folks wanted to go faster than others, etc. Did that ever pose a problem with the group?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

#8 ·
I live in Utah and have ridden most of the best places in Colorado, Arizona, Idaho and Oregon, Montana, and California. You could do all these places without hiring a guide. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone to give you suggestions and how to do it. If interested private msg me or email me with your phone number.

#10 ·
Perfect topic Im in the same boat looking for a Mountain Bike tour in the spring/summer somewhere in the western US. What about up in Oregon? I found a website for a tour company called cogwild tours, anyone done a tour up in the northwest? Moab/western CO is probably second on my list.

#11 ·
Bend is a lot of fun but you sure don't need a guide there because there's so much info available. I've heard good things and bad things about Cogwild. I wouldn't hesitate to shuttle with them, not sure about a tour. Would check recent reviews. Unpredictable snow melt can limit trails open in late Spring and early Summer. Mosquitos can be gawdawful. It's very XC in character for the most part. Used to be nothing technical there, but it's coming along.

North Umpqua is popular but I haven't ridden it. Hood River area is high on my to-do list. Black Rock is fun for a day or two if you don't mind earning your turns and like steep downhill flow and especially features.

Lots and lots of goodness out of Ketchum if you wait out the snow. Same for Crested Butte and everybody should ride there at some point.

Can't beat the SW if it's still cool. TONS to choose from. Just depends on what you like and the weather.

#30 ·
Bend is a lot of fun but you sure don't need a guide there because there's so much info available. I've heard good things and bad things about Cogwild. I wouldn't hesitate to shuttle with them, not sure about a tour. Would check recent reviews.
Redhawk,
Thanks for including us in this post about tour companies! We have stiff competition so we feel lucky to be included.
One of the main reasons we do recommend coming with us is because there is almost too much information about riding in Bend available. We ride with many riders who are overwhelmed with their options and make sure they make the most of every second of their riding time in Bend. Not every trail is open all riding season long and some get blown out while others are still in amazing riding condition.
This year we will be offering daily shuttles once Swampy SnoPark opens. We will also be offering more tours - especially in the McKenzie region on trails most locals don't know about. We hope you will come ride with us, or even shuttle to make your own opinion of our local company.
Looking forward to a great riding season - hope to ride with everyone this summer!
Cheers,
Melanie :)

#12 ·
Mountain Bike Tour Company in New York City

I am starting up a company in the New York City area and if you decide to visit come check out my new company. I will be taking people up to the Catskills for day trips in the New Paltz region. If you are a more hard core mountain biker contact me and we can make other arrangements. biketoursny.com

#16 ·
I am starting up a company in the New York City area and if you decide to visit come check out my new company. I will be taking people up to the Catskills for day trips in the New Paltz region. If you are a more hard core mountain biker contact me and we can make other arrangements. biketoursny.com
Shoot me an email and lets partner up on some trips. Check us out at www.atlantaoutfitters.com. Charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com.

Thanks!

#14 ·
One of the best aspects of a guide is not necessarily to show you where the trails are. The guide we had for the full seven days was a pro rider and my riding improved dramatically by taking her suggestions and watching what she did and the lines she rode. I rode stuff that I would never have had the confidence to do on my own. Each day we also had a 'local' guide who was very knowledgeable on local flora, fauna, history, anecdotes, bars, restaurants etc. That's really what made the difference.

#17 ·
Any suggestions for a tour/guides specifically in Colorado? I'll be out in Denver the second to last week in August for a conference and want to extend my stay (into the last week of August). The catch is I will most likely be solo. I can travel up to 5-6 hrs away. Any ideas anyone? Thanks! =)

#21 ·
If any of you are ever looking for a great BC trip out of Vancouver/Whistler, or to international destinations - check out Big Mountain Adventures (ridebig.com). We run top all-mountain, cross-country and downhill trips to 14 countries and are based in Whistler BC. We'd love to take you on a big adventure. Happy trails!

#29 ·
Whether you are looking for a guided or self-guided tour, check out BikeToursDirect. We represent local bike tour companies in over 70 countries and have a selection of over 400 tours on our website. Italy, Spain, France, Scotland, Nepal, Borneo in Malaysia, Mongolia, Tibet, New Zealand, Iceland, Greece, Kenya, South Africa and more, and we are adding new tours and new operators on an almost daily basis.

You'll be amazed where you can go and what you can see by bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.