mtbr member
    Oct 2013

MTB vacation recommendations for an intermediate?

I'm finally treating myself to the vacation I deserve. Looking to spend a week or two mountain biking and/or hiking (hike-a-bike? ha ha) here in the US, but I've never done this before. I've read about Utah and Colorado as being great destinations (Moab, Durango) and would love to make stops at breweries in the evenings.

I think I'm an intermediate - tried this skill level guide on Whistler's site and I seem to be around level 5 but could be a high 4. I am confident on technical terrain, sorta weary about steep terrain I'm not familiar with (I do ride the brakes then), fine hopping over obstacles without stopping (or falling), I get air time doing some jumping on tracks around my area (central-west NJ) but not a whole lot.

Any recommendations? Would love to go on a vaca where I get coaching too...

Thanks in advance,

Chris

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Moab and much of south Utah is hot in the summer. Durango is cooler and much higher altitude. You can bike Moab but get up at 5:30 AM and hit the trails until 11. Bring plenty of water and electrolytes to replace lost salts.

I've made a few trail analysis for intermediates videos in south Utah. This is a popular wine for Moab Moab Mountain Biking for Intermediates - A Trail Analysis - YouTube. From this one you should be able to find the others on YouTube.

Advanced level trails are almost entirely rideable by intermediates. Just jump off the bike at places that look too risky.

Lots of great biking near Fruita and Grand Junction, CO. Also hot during the day. Visit Over The Edge bike shop in Fruita for current info.

If you go to Zion then Thunder Mountain Trail near Bryce is terrific. Mountain Biking The Thunder Mountain Trail - An Analysis For Intermediates - YouTube

West of Zion is Gooseberry Mesa. The trail along the south rim is technically challenging but fun! There is also an Over The Edge bike shop in Hurricane near the mesa although we prefer hanging on in Springdale and there is a bike shop there.

Flagstaff, AZ has great forest riding and nearby Sedona has more red rock riding. Sedona has art galleries and some nice restaurants. More upscale touristy.

The high country of CO and the Pacific Coast is certainly cooler but I'm not familiar with most of it. I'm more into desert riding now except for the Sierras. We're heading out for a 10 day Sierras adventure in a few weeks.

Jim

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I see you are in NJ so I'm going to suggest Ashville, NC. Tons of great riding and a nice city.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    probably anywhere in oregon

mtbr member
    May 2008

MTB vacation recommendations for an intermediate?

I'd suggest Vail. The temperature is cooler, and you'll have a lot to do when not riding. There is awesome riding all over the Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Chris: I'm starting a tour planning company for RV/mtb vacations here in the Southwest. We have extensive experience and knowledge of trails in Grand Junction/Fruita, Moab, Cortez, Sedona, Phoenix, Gooseberry/St George, Red Rocks, Bootleg, etc. etc. There is a ton of fantastic riding for intermediates in every location; feel free to contact me for detailed info. Thanks, John
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Chris,

Iím planning something similar.

Found the following sites by searching here this morning. All were provided by members of this forum.

Utah trails: UtahMountainBiking Home Index
    Lake Tahoe trails: Trail Maps
    Utah trails: Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.
    All: The Skid Map

Good luck.

Bob

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi Chris, not sure if you've planned or already taken your vacation, but consider Bike Paradise in Scottsdale, AZ if you'd like to get away during the winter months. We have nearly perfect weather here during the winter, and offer an all-inclusive luxury mountain bike vacation. You can also choose to augment your stay with professional level coaching. Check us out at Bike Paradise - AZ. There is a link to our Facebook page there as well.

Cheers,
    -Scott
    Bike Paradise owner/operator
    level II IMBA ICP skills coach

mtbr member
    OK Chris, where'd you go? How'd it turn out?