Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ups and downs
    Wow, some shots from Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull eruption

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...llajokull.html
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi, I'm going to Iceland for a vacation with my wife. We know people there, and one is a highly avid mtn biker. While I value his advice, are their any trails I should ask about specifically?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    same question, same question hhehe

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This was a 2-hr-and-change ride. Simply unbelievable.

Mountain Biking Iceland-iceland-mtn-bike.jpg
    Last edited by neglect; 09-16-2014 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just got back from Iceland a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd add a few things to this thread.
    - First off, I would NOT want to do an extended bike trip in Iceland. The weather can get brutal, and there's a good chance it will.
    - That being said, a handful of 15-20 mile rides would be incredible. The scenery in Iceland is out of this world (literally) and is probably even better by bike.
    - The terrain- that I saw (in the highlands mostly) is intense. I imagine there's a lot of hike-a-bike with trails being super steep and loose.

I found this website when I was over there, killer shots and some good trail descriptions:
    Trails in Iceland - Going to Iceland?

Also, if anyone's interested in seeing my experience in pictures, here's a link. I'm definitely going back soon.
    Iceland: Fire and Ice - smmokan

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Weather is something you dress for.

If you dont like the hike bike . Visit helibiking.is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Biking Iceland-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Also back from iceland.. its awesome. you don't really need trail plans. anything you want is your trail. the landscapes are crazy, and some of the trails are pure joy.
    We did all the well known hiking spots of south iceland - they're all equally amazing.

I did a few wikiloc trails and most of them are regular hiking trails. Some trails are extremely hard/impossible and you have to carry the bike (25% uphills in rocks for example)

there's also a lot of rocky terrains too (read: only rocks, no grass, no dirt) so you want strong sidewalls on your tires and some spares.

As for organised trips like icebike, i havent tried, the price is outrageous IMO... (its like 2000 USD a day..) but if you dont know what to do with your dollars it seems awesome

Finale note.. for most interesting trails you'll want to be in very good shape with a very good FS bike to enjoy it fully. There's some crazy uphill stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Nahhh I did a trip with Icebike in july.
    They offer daytrips from 300USD incl fullsusp bike rental.
    for 2700USD you get a full week of highland riding and one epic helibiking day. Its a must!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2