mtbr member

Moab ride guide?

Hello all...

I am looking to head out to Moab in October (Columbus Day weekend, actually) for a couple days, and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation of anyone who would be able to guide a first-timer out there?

I've been riding since 1988, and will be just coming off the Pisgah Stage Race, so I am an experienced rider, and though I live in the flatland, hopefully I am in good enough shape to hammer out a couple days and knock an item off my bucket list.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    You don't need a guide. Stop at one of the four bike shops and buy a map and chat with them. You will have no problem finding trailheads or way finding on the trails. Also no problem riding alone on the popular trails. Plenty of riders come along if you get in trouble.

The trails are covered pretty well on YouTube and Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs.

My intro to Moab video is for intermediates but may be helpful Moab Mountain Biking for Intermediates - A Trail Analysis - YouTube

Jim

one sick puppy
    Hey Mike,
    I've ridden with you at Palos. I'm an old guy and my brother and I went to Fruita / Moab / Cortez /Durango last October and loved it. I don't think you need a guide out there but it would be nice to be riding with someone in case you take a tumble. Trails are pretty easy to follow, maps are good and there are a lot of riders out at that time of the year. It was my first time but my brothers third time at Moab. Try to hit Fruita as well. There is some very sweet riding over there. See you on the trails if they ever dry out. WallyO
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

Desert Seeker
    Like the others said, Moab is very user friendly if you want to get around on your own. If you want to get out on the trails with someone who is local, shoot me a PM.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    Yikes! Ride with a local! They are crazy strong on those trails. I've seen their children ride advanced rock.

Then again, they know that secret line around that huge rock on Porky that is above the river. The rest of us can barely hike our bikes around it but some locals ride it.

:-)

Desert Seeker
    Ha Ha! True enough in many cases but alas I am a mere mortal! My son now...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Many of you are referencing trail maps from the LBS near the trails. Any for sale on-line? Passing through multiple areas with an RV and enclosed trailer. Would like to study the maps now, so I don’t want to have to drive the RV around town, be tied to LBS business hours, etc.

PS - UtahMountainBiking Home Index = awesome site. May be all I need. Thanx Jim!

Desert Seeker
    Also, check out this site for more maps and info on Moab trails.

Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.

beater
    The Skid Map is pretty much all you need for planning purposes.

The Skid Map

The trail maps that people mention are the National Geographic maps and the Latitude 40 maps. You can find them both on Amazon.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sweet! Both sites are incredible. Have added to my reading list. Thanx!

Where were you guys 10 years ago when I took my wife mountain biking in the Italian Dolomites. I couldn’t find the trailhead at Lake Garda – she never let me forget that!

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    @MtnBkrBob

It is easy to park and ride your bike to the bike shops in town. They are only about 5 - 6 blocks apart. I'm in Moab now. There are many places to park RV's and RV's are all over the place. Many RV parks are near town.

I'm staying at Moab Valley RV Resort in the cabins. We're a couple of miles out of town next to the Colorado River and there are bike paths on both sides of the highway and no climbs involved.

I recommend KOA for the view but a ways south of town. Canyonlands and Moab Valley are our favorites and highly rated.

Come here, get the maps, warm up on the Moab Brand Trails north of town. You'll meet riders everywhere and gets lots of advice.

Jim