mtbr member

Moab, Grand Junction & Fruita, "absolute must" trails? tips??

Hey guys,

August 10th im heading up to the states on a bike trip with a couple of friends. We're leaving from Boulder for a ~10 day trip. Our main destination is Moab, but since the Grand Junction and Fruita are on the way, were taking a couple of days to ride Western Colorado as well.

FWIW, we'd be doing AM and Trail riding in general. No huge DH, resort or shuttle rides for us lol

The thing is, being from South America we've never been to Colorado or Utah other than on winter time, ive been told its pretty different.

So here are my questions:

What trails would be your priorities if you had maybe 3 days riding in the Grand Junction & Fruita area??

What trails would be your priorities if you had 5 days to ride Moab??

Anything else you'd recommend visiting or doing in any of those locations?? Hiking, 4x4 trails, etc??

Where would you stay?? We'd be looking for the cheapest places to stay or maybe camping spots. Tips?? What to bring for camping?? what to look out for??

General tips or any help regarding the trip would be greatly appreciated. Were all experienced mountain bikers but were total noobs when it comes to an international bike trip, we have absolutely no idea what to expect, other than its gonna be awesome!

Thanks in advance,

Luis.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Hey LUis - we have a pinkbike front page story on that topic going to the frontpage for next week. Here's the story here now for your private enjoyment

Moab - Over rated? Not really - Part 1 by Sharonb - Pinkbike

Moab - Over rated? Not really - Part 2 by Sharonb - Pinkbike'

Grand Junction and Fruita, Colorado - Just a jaunt east from Moab - Part 3 by Sharonb - Pinkbike

Post in the Utah forum too and you'll get lots of feedback. August is pretty hot though. Don't forget your medical insurance. US medical care is stupidly expensive
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Thanks Lee!

Ive already heard of a bunch of trails, not sure how to organize the moab rides though, i have 9 trails and have absolutely no clue what would be best as I know nothing about the trails.

Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, Slickrock, The Whole Enchilada, Magnificent 7, Sovereign, Poison Spider, Klondike Bluffs, Gemini Bridges.

What would you ride in 5 days??? Considering that we're gonna spend about 8 days of riding every single day, so I dont wanna overdo it and have insanely long rides every day.

Now i'm more concerned with the lodging part, were not sure where to stay, but it has to be really cheap, as were on a tight budget. Any ideas?? I posted up on a Moab thread on the Utah forums (didnt know that existed) and ill see what pops up, but I wanna do a good job of planning this trip just right!

Awesome write ups man!! really helpful! thanks a million.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Luis - you really should read what we wrote. Its designed to answer your questions

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Our group stayed at Lazy Lizard in Moab. It was adequate, but we had just spent 7 days out touring, and our standards were low. Also, we were 8 people so we took up our own space. I would look into doing the "Whole Enchilata"

mtbr member
    I did, more than the pinkbike article I payed close attention to your blog! Thing is, ive gotten similar info (great info I must say, thanks) about other trails in moab!! that's why I cant make up my mind!!

In your article you only cover campsites, what cheap hotels are there? as in really really cheap??

If we were to definitely go camping, what would we need to bring?? What happens to all your stuff when you leave (Sorry, Venezuelan, we tend to be skeptical about leaving stuff that can be easily taken)

The 5 most named rides seem to be Porc Rim, Amasa Back, Sovereign, Klondike Bluffs and the Whole Enchilada!

Edit:

Searching on the internet prices seem pretty steep for lodging!! I cant seem to find pricing for the Lazy Lizard. Dream Plus do you remember their prices??

Thanks
    Last edited by Luigiugueto; 06-27-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Thread Terrorist
    August? Bring lots of sunscreen and enjoy the heat!

What is cheap?

Whole Enchilada includes porc rim. Do it.
    Amasa back, do it.
    Klondike? Add in EKG, Mega steps, baby steps, do it
    I'd skip soveriegn unless you're short on time, but rather do the Mag 7.

Remember, it's going to be very warm in August.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Coming from Venezuela we're used to riding in the high 90's and always above 60% humidity, Might not be in the 100's but the humidity makes the heat worse so were kinda used to riding in extreme heat. Precautions will be taken though, thanks for the heads up!

If the whole enchilada includes Porcupine Rim, should I skip porcupine rim as a single ride and ride something else? Or should they be done separately?

We're short on time considering weve only got 5 days, Ive been told Mag 7 is a really long ride no?? Isn't Sovereign one of the "Moab Classics"?

Cheap would be the closest possible options to camping lol

Thanks!!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigiugueto View Post
    If the whole enchilada includes Porcupine Rim, should I skip porcupine rim as a single ride and ride something else? Or should they be done separately?

We're short on time considering weve only got 5 days, Ive been told Mag 7 is a really long ride no?? Isn't Sovereign one of the "Moab Classics"?

Cheap would be the closest possible options to camping lol

Thanks!!
    Running out here but here are the answers

- Do Enchilada with Porc. Skip Porc as a single ride

- Mag 7 is in the PB story with GPS tracks. Making it long is riding it with Portal. Riding it without Portal its not long - maybe 3 - 4 hours tops

I did, more than the pinkbike article I payed close attention to your blog! Thing is, ive gotten similar info (great info I must say, thanks) about other trails in moab!! that's why I cant make up my mind!!

In your article you only cover campsites, what cheap hotels are there? as in really really cheap??

If we were to definitely go camping, what would we need to bring?? What happens to all your stuff when you leave (Sorry, Venezuelan, we tend to be skeptical about leaving stuff that can be easily taken)

The 5 most named rides seem to be Porc Rim, Amasa Back, Sovereign, Klondike Bluffs and the Whole Enchilada!

Edit:

Searching on the internet prices seem pretty steep for lodging!! I cant seem to find pricing for the Lazy Lizard. Dream Plus do you remember their prices??

Thanks
    I can't help you with lodging. I like camping in Moab which is why we camp there. There's no problems with leaving stuff around in that campground we described in the blog

I would do the rides we described in the PB blog and include

- Pipedream and Sovereign (both are short - together they are worthwhile to fill a day)
    - Slickrock - if only because its iconic
    - Barlett Was - short but fun
    - Hazard

If you do a google search under Lee and Sharon and Moab you'll find links and you can read more. These have GPS tracks

Buy the maps from the trail guys there and get good karma too

psycho cyclo addict
    Coming from Venezuela we're used to riding in the high 90's and always above 60% humidity, Might not be in the 100's but the humidity makes the heat worse so were kinda used to riding in extreme heat. Precautions will be taken though, thanks for the heads up!

+1 for doing the Whole Enchilada which includes Porcupine Rim. Also, Slickrock is another trail you should definitely do. It is like nothing I've ridden before... envision: riding on huge smooth rock formations, very little vegetation short/abrupt descents and climbs with some serious drop offs around corners and awesome views of rocks, rocks and more rocks plus hopefully some clouds in the distance.

Slickrock and Porcupine Rim (too much snow to start ride @ Enchilada when I was there) were my favorite rides (I rode Amasaback and the shorter version of Mag 7 also).

mtbr member
    Well noted, thank you all so much for all your input!! the trip has been well planned out thanks to al of your help!!

I will post pictures when I get back!! We decided to extend the trip a little and visit Vegas while were at it!! will be a nice rest to 8 days of riding every day!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I did a trip like this last year. Boulder to vegas, nice!
    While in fruita, don't miss kessel run trail, very fun slalom fast and fluid.
    Do the whole enchillada first , if possible, while in Moab.
    gooseberry mesa is on the way, close to grand canyon, and is a very nice ride too.
    There are also some rides close to Vegas.

mtbr member
    I dont think we'll be riding while in Nevada, but since were gonna have our bikes we might! Im investigating what good trails are close to Vegas just out of curiosity.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bootleg Canyon is just outside of Boulder City.

addicted to chunk
    Been there the past 2 years, do not miss The Whole Enchilada. Also love Amasa back.

We found good semi-rustic camping (shitters, no showers) right near the end of whole enchilada by the highway, river on one side & huge cliffs all around....very cool.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Would love to go to Moab!

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Been there the past 2 years, do not miss The Whole Enchilada. Also love Amasa back.
    +1 on both these trails. Can't miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Wow... where to start?

I would do both Fruita and Moab if you've got five days total. Lots of choices, and since you're only two hours away from Moab, why not do both and totally immerse yourself in Canyon Country?

Fruita: Have to do the Bookcliffs and all of the Trails on the Kokopelli side of I-70 (Troy Built/ Lion's Loop, Mary's/ Steve's/ Rustler's Loops... you'll get a great taste of fast singletrack and technical riding, and it's a great warm-up for Moab!
    Camping? I'd try the Frontage Road on the South side of I-70... as I recall there are a few camping sites far enough away from the Interstate where it won't be an issue. There's a Truck Stop at the Fruita exit that has showers for a small fee.

Moab: the Mystical Mountain Bike Mecca. Personally, depends on what type of riding you like, and what you want to see. Now, I'm very biased... having ridden almost all of the trails there except for the brand new ones I lean towards the classics:

The Slickrock Trail (including the Practice Loop; just so you can say you've ridden it)
    Porcupine Rim (or The Whole Enchilada incl. Porky - EPIC)
    Amasa Back
    Gemini Bridges/ Gold Bar Rim/ Blue Dot/ Poison Spider/ Portal Rim Trail (EPIC)
    Moab Rim
    Monitor and Merrimac

Lodging/ Camping? Sand Flats Recreation Area @ Slickrock: paid camping. You'll have to drive South out of town or down Kane Creek Rd. (turn Rt. @ the McDonalds) to find free camping, or you can stay in town at the Slickrock Campground on the North end of town. It has all the camping facilities you need, and I liked it because it was convenient.

Other activities? Lots of hiking at both places, and there are two good golf courses (one in Fruita, one in Moab) if you're into that sort of thing.

Hope this helps!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    If you want to ride Grand Junction, do "The Ribbon", amazing ride. The Lunch Loops are right there as well.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Moab is always a favorite. Lots of different rides, and a cool town to stay at!
    Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Hell no!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey LUis - we have a pinkbike front page story on that topic going to the frontpage for next week. Here's the story here now for your private enjoyment
    Great blog post! LeeL, how long did you spend on that trip?

The reason I ask is that I'm planning a trip very similar to that the second week of Sept. and have 2 weeks to spare (including driving to get there and back). At this point I'm debating whether to keep it to those locations, spending a week each including some down time, or maybe add Durango to the list, which might be a little tight.

Any feedback from you or anyone else?

mtbr member
    Im leaving thursday for the trip! did some riding yesterday and today around the boulder area and had some fun. Ill report back when I get back from the trip. Cheers!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnatch View Post
    Great blog post! LeeL, how long did you spend on that trip?

The reason I ask is that I'm planning a trip very similar to that the second week of Sept. and have 2 weeks to spare (including driving to get there and back). At this point I'm debating whether to keep it to those locations, spending a week each including some down time, or maybe add Durango to the list, which might be a little tight.

Any feedback from you or anyone else?
    10 days in total. 1 day of driving on either end of the trip

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    LeeL, did you find it to be the perfect amount of time for those destinations, or do you think you could have fit another place in there in the amount of time spent? My trip is going to be the same duration (can't be longer), but I am open to destination tweaks.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've spent three to four weeks in that area and the SW Utah area. There's a lot to see.