Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Mid-June Destination

I have about 10 days or so for a western ridding trip in mid-June. We are pale riders from the PNW and desire a little dry rolling. I have enjoyed Moab in the spring, but June might be a tad warm. Would love to ride Fruita…too hot? Anywhere in the west is fair game. Where would you go?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    All of the trails in the Park City area were open by mid-June last year. It's hard to know what it will be like this summer, but it's something to consider. The temperatures are usually nice at that elevation when it gets too hot for Moab.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    June is good in Mendocino Ca Riding in the redwoods on the ocean is hard to beat. Lots to see and do besides the riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The riding in Park City is pretty darn awesome and the bonus is there is a ton of 'other' stuff to do if you (or somebody in your group....wives?) want to do so. We went white water kayaking one day and went late night bowling one night. They have a very cool, futuristic bowling alley which actually also had great food & drinks. The wives hiked and went horseback riding.

Moab and the Gooseberry area (my favorite) are both too hot in June for me....high 90's. Weather dot com says Fruita averages a high of 87. The one thing to keep in mind that if it does get hotter, all of the riding in Fruita is out in the open so you're exposed to the sun all day on the trails. There aren't a plethora of shade trees to take cover like there is in Park City. Depending on snow pack, the Durango/Cortez area could also be a winner but with that altitude, it's alot more work than Fruita (or it is for me).

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Tahoe/Downieville CA?
    Sun Valley/Stanley Idaho, depending on the snow year?
    Umpqua/Oakridge OR?
    Higher Bend trails?

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Other spots we should look into?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you're looking to ride in Northern California, check out riding in the redwoods on the Mendocino coast.

In particular, a local guide company, Mendocino Bike Sprite, has a couple of awesome MTB weekends coming up in June & September. Two full days of MTB rides, by the best guides in NorCal on awesome redwood single-track. Camping & hostel-style lodging included, close to the trails in Caspar, with meals from Saturday morning through Sunday lunch. Film night Saturday night, and late check-out on Sunday so you can wash up before heading back home.

Check out MendoBikeSprite.com for more details.

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Decided to head to Sun Valley/Ketchum area for a week or so. Psyched to ride a new area. Thanks for the feedback.
    To the Moderator it is very bad form to spam on a forum. Perhaps the person above should be punished.