mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Michigan to Moab - recommended rides

I'm planning a 3 week trip starting from Copper Harbor, MI (Fat Tire Festival/Race), headed for Moab and then back to Michigan. No specific agenda other than to ride Moab at some point. Fat Tire Fest is Labor day weekend, so I'm talking the first 3 weeks in September. I'm pulling a travel trailer, so our accomodations are coming with us and we don't have to worry about making hotel reservations, etc. ahead of time.

What are the "must do" rides for Minnesota, N or S Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.

I'd appreciate any input you can give me, as I have plenty of days to fill. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was hoping that somewhere along my (very wide open) route that someone would have a few "hidden gems" that "just need to be ridden"!!

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

One in WY

Make sure to hit Curt Gowdy SP, great trails and great camp spots (get the one by the archery range near the creek).
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

Rides like a kid

Not exactly on the way

But in Eau Claire, WI is Lowes Creek Park with some miles of riding. Cost $3 for the park for the day.

Lowes Creek

Print yourself a few maps. I use one and drop the rest off in the box. They are always out of maps.

This site will help for MN info.

Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The Black hills of South dakota are full of must rides. If you can ride only one trail in the hills I'd ride Storm Mt. Other trails like Buzzards Roost, M hill, Victoria Creek, Centennial trail are great rides. Go to PahaSapaTrails.com for more info.

-Ross-

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Once you are there

If you're going to Moab, then you gotta stop to ride the trails in Grand Junction and Fruita (especially Fruita). Stop in at Over the Edge in fruita. Super cool bike shop where you can pick up a really nice trail guide for the area. The staff there is really helpful in getting you on the types of trails you are interested in. The 18 Road trails are like an amazing rollercoaster ride and there is free camping (up to 14 days) within the trail system (i.e. you can ride to the trailhead in less than 2 minutes). Fruita seems to be a little more low key as well if, like me, you do'nt care much for crowds. Oh, and it's only about an hour from Moab.

In Moab, you have to take the shuttle (Coyote shuttle...I don't know there are probably more than one). Anyway, we took it out of the Chili-Pepper bike shop to do the Whole Enchilada. It costs like $20 maybe and a couple hours drive out of town, but it is well worth the ALL-DAY downhill affair.

If you end up in northern Utah, there are great trails all over Park City (Mid-Mountain at PCMR is one of my favs). Hope this helps. Have fun. I wish I was going.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Alomost forgot...

I almost forgot the most important part. If you end up in my neck of the woods (westerm MT) I can turn you on to some of the best trails that no one knows about (just make sure you're ready for long climbs and fast descents).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the info everyone. Doing my research and planning a loose agenda. Definitely be looking into the trails you guys have mentioned. Like I said, we have 3 weeks, so lots of time to hit different places.

Mtbmc82 - I was just talking to someone from Park City this weekend. They were vacationing in Mich (and asking about trails). Where abouts in western MT are you (pretty big place!!)?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edge_kw View Post
    I was hoping that somewhere along my (very wide open) route that someone would have a few "hidden gems" that "just need to be ridden"!!

thanks.
    Just saw your thread. Here are a few ideas / places to research:
    - 2nd on the Black Hills - very scenic. Custer State Park is big, beautiful, lots of camping, bike legal trails.
    -North Dakota: I hear the Ma da Hey trail, (not sure on spelling) was an IMBA Epic.
    -Various people have posted up tons of beautiful, high altitude scenery pics from Colorado and other Rocky mtn states. Here's a link to a thread in the passion forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/place...utiful-scenery

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I live in Missuola. If your adventure brings you through Missoula, you gotta ride the trails in Rattlesnake NRA. If you do though, let me know cause you don't want to climb the wrong trails IMO. Bring your legs and your lungs. And make sure your brakes are good. There are a couple other good trails systems within a few minutes, and a couple more within an hour.

mtbr member
    There are TONS of options in the Black Hills of SD as SRRoss and HC said. There are rides right off I-90 (HLMP/M-Hill in Rapid City, Elk Creek to Dalton Lake to Centennial Trail at Piedmont, Bulldog/Centennial/Alkali Creek just outside of Sturgis) and TONS of other things deeper in the Hills.

Curt Gowdy is a must in WY. Easy access off of I-25 at Cheyenne.

Peaks trail from Breckenridge to Frisco is really cool.

Definitely hit the Fruita/GJ area. Three "pods" of riding areas. The Lunch Loops area in GJ (gotta ride Holy Cross...a top 3 trail for me). In Fruita the Kokopelli area and the 18 Road stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the tips/responses everyone!!
    Keep 'em coming......

3 more weeks til trip time....can't wait!!