mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Looking for a boating lake with MTB trails nearby

We're getting together with some old friends from across the country and looking for a cabin we can rent on a lake for a week or so with a ski boat.

Of course, the first thought that went through my head is that this would be a great way to check out some new MTB trails if I can haul the bikes along.

So, to satisfy their needs they're looking for the following things, ideally with MTB trails nearby to satisfy my needs.

- Cabins available on the lake, preferably with somewhere to dock the boat onsite rather than in a marina
    - Warm enough water to swim in during the middle of summer

Bonus points if it's within driving distance of SLC because then I could just bring the bikes along, but I can rent them if it's somewhere else. We have the whole US to choose from as we're all spread out across the country anyway so most people will be flying no matter where it is.

My first thought was Tahoe, though I don't know if they'll find the water warm enough and I'm not sure if you can get waterfront lodging with a dock there. I'm pretty much at a loss beyond that, though I'm sure there are lots of smaller and less well known lakes out there that will fit their requirements while also having some MTB trails nearby.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How about Blue Mesa Reservoir, Colorado? It is near Gunnison, Crested Butte, and the Monarch Crest.

The Blue Mesa

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    How about Blue Mesa Reservoir, Colorado? It is near Gunnison, Crested Butte, and the Monarch Crest.

The Blue Mesa
    That looks like a great spot for me, but unfortunately with no cabins right on the lake and with year-round cold water, it doesn't meet either of the two criteria that I've got to satisfy for the rest of the group.

If it were up to me, I'd be all over it though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you're still looking, check out Ridgway State Park in southwest Colo. They rent yurts that are very close to the water which is plenty warm enough to swim in. They've just opened a bunch of new singletrack right across the road from the park. Not techy, but great climbs and flowy. Was there last weekend with a SUP, bikes, and family. A great time and well worth the trip from SLC. Your friends can fly into Grand Junction (GJT) which is about 90 minutes away from the park.
    OVER the rocks, not around