mtbr member
    Mar 2012

International Travel Insurance

Headed to Italy in a few weeks. Bringing 2 bikes for 2 people.
    Looking for options for a travel insurance policy that's more mountain bike friendly.
    These are my top concerns:
    -Bike gets stolen.
    -Airline breaks or loses bike.
    -One of us gets injured on a trail and has to be evacuated by a rescue squad, which my understanding is quite expensive.
    -One of us ends up in the hospital and we have to figure out how/what is covered by our US health insurance.
    -One of us ends up very injured and needs to be transported back to the US. I know this would be in the neighborhood of $100k.

Last year we used a AAA policy that would have covered medical and basic tourist stuff, but left me wondering about the health stuff. We rented bikes so didn't need to worry about that.
    My homeowners insists that they'll cover the bikes internationally, but if possible I'd like to have a policy that specifically covers bikes

Surely someone in here has some experience with this?
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow. Nobody?
    Am I going to have to brave the road bike forums?

Clueless Bastard
    Yes. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi jm2e,

Try TravelGuard, Travel Guard: Travel Insurance for Trip Cancellation, Medical/Health & Accident Coverage, Flight Delays, Hurricane and Tropical Storms from TravelGuard.com. I worked in adventure travel for years, and sold mountain bike tours, amongst other adventures (trekking, backpacking, etc), and our Travel Guard policy covered adventure sports. They also have really good customer service, and are available 24/7.

Definitely get a comprehensive policy that covers medical, evacuation, cancellation, interruption, loss or delay of personal items, etc. You should be able to find a policy that offers sufficient coverage, and I usually go for something with at least $50k in medical and $500k in evacuation. A policy with $100k in medical and $1M in evacuation is even better, and evacs can be ridiculously expensive. Repatriation coverage should be covered under evacuation.

If you don't like what you see on TG, then try World Nomads, World Nomads Travel Insurance - Explore Your Boundaries, or shop different polices at Travel Insurance Plans, Quotes, Research, Reviews, and Advice ? InsureMyTrip. Or go back to AAA, as they should offer a comprehensive plan that covers everything you seek.

As few words of wisdom regarding insurance and claims:

~ travel insurance is generally always secondary coverage, and should you need to make any claims, you will have to submit to your health or homeowners insurance first. So good that you have homeowners already. Travel insurance will then cover whatever your primary insurers do not which could be 100% if you do not have other coverage.

~ for claims on lost, stolen or damaged items, read the fine print VERY carefully. In the summary details for any insurance policy, you will see the total amount covered, which for personal items can often be $1000 or $1500. But this amount refers to the cumulative total you can claim, and most insurers have restrictions on the amount of any individual claim, ie, you can only claim up to $500 per item, not to exceed $1500. So if something happens to your $5000 mountain bike, and you plan to claim $5000, you are not likely to recoup the entire amount. But always best to ask the insurers directly before buying, as all policies are different, and they might be able to steer you to a higher limit policy. Just be prepared to spend more.

~ if you plan to make a claim, you MUST have paperwork and receipt. If you plan to claim anything medical, you must see a doctor in-country, and have paperwork or receipt from that doctor or hospital. If you wait until you return to seek medical treatment, your claim will likely be denied. If something was stolen, you generally have to have a police report to make a claim. But if you lost something or broke something (as I have on numerous trips), generally you just need a receipt showing proof of purchase.

~ If you have any pre-existing medial conditions that might need treatment during your trip, or might cause you to cancel or cut your trip short, AND its been more than 15 days since you booked your flight/tour, your claim will likely be denied. Most insurers offer a 15-day window to purchase insurance for pre-existing conditions, and the look-back window can vary, but is often about 6 months. Just mentioning as most people don't think about this.

~ and when in doubt, get a receipt!

Hope that helps, and have a great trip!!

Clueless Bastard
    I am so reppin this guy for this answer!